Summer Research Grants
Summer FURSCA Program: Summer 2024
May 20, 2024 thru July 12, 2024
During each summer a select number of students are supported by a FURSCA Summer Research Grant. These grants support the student for up to ten weeks with a weekly stipend, allowing them to live in Albion and participate in the FURSCA Summer Program. Applications can include requests for up to $500 to help cover costs associated with supplies and travel expenses necessary to carry out the research. All current Albion students who will be enrolled in the fall are eligible. Students may accept up to two FURSCA summer grants during their time at Albion.
Submitting A Proposal
Submit proposals by Friday, February 9th by Noon
The application process for any FURSCA research grant is completed through an online application.
To submit your proposal, you must first create a FURSCA account.
In order for an application to be considered complete, the proposal must be in a .pdf format and uploaded in your application, the application must be filled out and submitted on time, and you must have the Letter of Recommendation submitted by your faculty mentor. Late proposals will not be considered. Parts of the application process are:
- Cover Sheet in Word format. The cover page MUST be included as the first page of your proposal and submitted in pdf format. It should not exceed one page. This also includes Tips on how to fill out and a Check List.
- Body of proposal (not to exceed three pages, excluding references and timeline). Proposals over the three page limit will not be funded.
- Signature Page– This form is turned into the FURSCA Office, 2nd floor Old Observatory #204
- Faculty support letter. You will need to email your proposal to your faculty mentor after submitting your application online and request a Letter of Recommendation.
- Rubric for Summer Proposals, it can also be found on Course Webs
You will be asked to upload a file in .pdf format describing your research project. The cover page must be included as the first page of your proposal. The cover page does not count towards the three page limit. A statement of support from your faculty project sponsor is also required. You must also print out the signature page and turn the original with required signatures in to the FURSCA office in the Old Observatory #204. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make copies of proposals available to all signees on the signature page either in electronic or paper form.
Once all items have been submitted by the deadline, applications are evaluated by the FURSCA director in consultation with a committee made up of faculty and students from various departments. Both you and your faculty mentor will be notified of the award, or contacted if additional information is needed.
Examples of previously funded FURSCA proposals can be found on the FURSCA Moodle Site. These proposals are just a sample of successful proposals that have been funded previously.
NOTE: All research that involves the use of human research participants (e.g., interviews, experiments, questionnaires) MUST receive prior approval from the college’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). The procedure for getting IRB approval is as follows:
Once your FURSCA proposal is accepted, you must meet with your professor and prepare your IRB proposal. An approved proposal is required prior to your project start date or funds will not be released. The review process can take several weeks.
All research that involved the use of animals MUST receive prior approval from the college’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. The forms can be found on their page.
Student Proposal Deadlines
- Fall Research Grant – Monday, October 23
- Fall Conference Grant – Monday, December 13
- Spring Research Grant – Friday, March 1
- Spring Conference Grant – Friday, April 12
- Summer Research Grant – Friday, February 9 by Noon
- Fall 2023 – Support Letter upon Proposal submission
- Spring 2024 – Support Letter upon Proposal submission
- Summer 2024 – Monday, February 12 by Noon