FURSCA conference grants are available primarily to assist students with travel to present research results at professional meetings.
Awards are limited to $600. The student must fill out the application form below, indicating the title of the presentation, and provide a copy of the abstract and/or an abstract acceptance notification. Applications for student conference grants should be signed by the faculty sponsor and the appropriate department chairperson or Center/Institute director, then submitted to FURSCA’s Associate Director, Renee Kreger- located in the Old Observatory 2nd Floor #204, phone 517-629-0614.
This needs to be done prior to the meeting.
Students giving presentations at conferences may request funds for the following purposes:
- Train/Airfare: Arrangements should be made well in advance of travel. The purchase of tickets can be done via a purchase order if sufficient time is allowed. Otherwise, the student can be reimbursed after submitting a paid receipt.
- Lodging: A check can be issued, payable to the hotel, prior to travel. Or, the student can be reimbursed after submitting a paid receipt.
- Meeting registration: Can be paid in advance, or reimbursed with paid receipt.
- Meals: Up to $30 per day is available. Detailed Receipts must be provided.
- Mileage: If a personal vehicle is to be used, an estimate of the total miles for the trip should be provided on the conference grant application. The standard $0.545 per mile will be reimbursed after the trip.
- Other transportation, parking, etc.: Receipts must be provided.
Receipts must be submitted for reimbursement within 10 days after the meeting.
FURSCA requires that students who receive a conference grant write a short paragraph after they return, describing what they felt were the highlights of the conference. The purpose of this is to encourage you to participate fully in the experience of attending a professional meeting, above and beyond giving your own presentation. This “report” should be submitted with your receipts after the meeting.
Applications for conference grants are accepted on an on-going basis during the semester; however, you must apply for funding before you have incurred the expenses for which you are requesting reimbursement.
Conference Grant Application (Word Format)
Student Proposal Deadlines
- Fall Research Grant – Monday, November 13th
- Fall Conference Grant – Monday, December 11th
- Spring Research Grant – Friday, March 23 at Noon
- Spring Conference Grant – Friday, April 12 at Noon
- Summer Research Grant – Friday, February 9th by Noon
- Fall 2023 – Rolling
- Spring 2024 – Monday, March 25th
- Summer 2024 – Monday, February 12th by Noon