Motor Pool – Cars, Minivans & Passenger Vans

Albion College Motor Pool has vehicles available for College-related business. Employees are encouraged to use these vehicles if available. Policies and reservation procedures are different for cars/minivans and 12/15 passenger vans, and are described below.

Please note: per the PET AND OTHER ANIMAL policy for Albion College, animals (with the exception of service animals) are not to be transported in motor pool vehicles.

Cars and Minivans


Driving records of all drivers will be checked by Campus Safety before they may use a vehicle and may be checked periodically in future years. Safety training recommended by our insurance carrier may also be required periodically.

Residential Life/Community Living requests need to be made through the Community Living Office and approved by the director.

Student group and organization requests need to be made through the Campus Life Office and approved by the director.

First Year Experience requests need to be made through the FYE/Registrar’s Office.

Student use requests for student teaching, internships, job shadowing, practicums, etc., need to be made through the department providing the account number for the mileage fee.


Reservations may be made by sending an email to Karen Hiatt in Facilities ( The following information is required when making a reservation: name of driver(s), date(s) and time vehicle is needed, type of vehicle needed, purpose of trip, destination, department to be charged (name and complete FOPAL), contact person (if other than driver, ex. department secretary) and his/her extension.


The charge for using a Motor Pool car or minivan is currently 10 cents/mile. This charge does not include fuel. It will be the drivers responsibility for gas purchases. Please remember vehicles must be returned with a full tank of gas!

Changes and Cancellations

Please notify us of any cancellations or changes in dates or number of vehicles needed, so we can make the adjustments to the calendar.

Key Pick Up

Keys may be signed out by the driver Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., in the Facilities Operations Main Office (between Kresge Gym and the railroad tracks). Keys for weekend travel will need to be picked up on Friday. Please make every effort to pick up keys before 4pm. If that is not possible, please call 517-629-0230, so other arrangements can be made.

Vehicle Pick Up and Drop Off

Monday through Friday, vehicles will be ready by 9 a.m. on the day they are reserved. If you need the vehicle before 9 a.m., please let us know when you make your reservation so it will be reserved properly.

Vehicles should be returned BEFORE 8:30 a.m., unless other arrangements were made in advance. Please remember to record the mileage on the log in the vehicle, complete the checklist (in envelope when you picked up key), and gas up before turning in the key and checklist.

12 and 15 Passenger Vans


It is the responsibility of the department/group/organization to find approved drivers. Albion College staff and student driver names must appear on the Approved Driver List, and passed the Alert Driving and road tests, to drive a motor pool 12 or 15 passenger van. The process for applying to become an approved driver is now electronic, and is described below:

  • Persons wishing to apply to become approved drivers should complete the Van Driver Registration Form, and provide the requested information.
  • Once completed, this information is e-mailed to Campus Safety and Alert Driving. Campus Safety will begin the process of obtaining your driving record, in accordance with College policy.
  • You will receive an email from Alert Driving with URL and password to log on to take your test. You must complete the online training within 14 days of receiving this email.
  • Upon your successful completion of the online training, print your completion certificate and contact the Campus Safety office to schedule your driving test. To schedule a test, call x0213.
  • Campus Safety will notify you confirming your authorization to drive a College van. NOTE: Obtaining driving records can take four to six weeks

Community Living must approve requests and make the reservation for Community Life/Residence Hall functions.

Campus Life must approve requests and make the reservation for student groups/organizations.
Requests for First Year Experience must be approved by Drew Dunham, Registrar’s Office.


Reservations can be made by sending an e-mail to Karen Hiatt in Facilities, The following information must be provided: full account number (FOPAL) for charges, group/class name, contact person and their extension, number of vans needed, purpose of trip, destination, date(s) and time van is needed, and name(s) of approved driver(s).


The charge for using a 12 or 15 passenger van is currently $.40/mile. The per mile charge includes gas. If you are travelling a distance you will be provided with gas cards to use. Please place gas slips in the envelope with the checklist and keys. You do not need to return 12 and 15 passenger vans with a full tank of gas.

Changes and Cancellations

Please notify us of any changes in dates or numbers of vehicles needed so we can check on availability. Please notify us of any cancellations ASAP. If the cancellation policy is abused you may be charged $25/vehicle reserved.

Key Pick Up

Keys can be signed out by the approved driver Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., in the Facilities Operations Main Office (between Kresge Gym and the railroad tracks). Keys for weekend travel need to be signed out on Friday; However, you must not take the vehicle until the date and time scheduled.

Overnight Trips

Groups traveling overnight must provide Campus Safety with the following information PRIOR to departure:

  • names and emergency contact information for each person traveling
  • detailed itinerary (including accommodations and cell phone numbers)
  • signed release form for each person traveling in the van

These forms can be obtained in the Campus Life office or online in the Student Organization Handbook, under the Travel Policy section.

If you are traveling with luggage, no more than 12 people can be transported in a 15 passenger van.

12 and 15 Passenger Van Pick Up and Drop Off

Monday through Friday all vehicles are ready by 9am on the day they are reserved for. If you need the vehicle(s) before 9am, let us know when you make your reservation so arrangements can be made to have it ready. Unless arrangements were made in advance, vehicles should be returned as soon as you are done with them.

When you sign out the keys you will be given an envelope with the key(s) and checklist(s). Please remember to check the gas gauge prior to leaving town.

When you return the vehicle(s), completely fill out the check list(s). It serves as a reminder to clean out loose trash and personal items and to secure the vehicle(s). A garbage can is located next to the gas pump for trash, if excessive trash or other items are left in the vehicle you may be charged $25 cleaning fee. We are not responsible for any items left in the vehicle. On the checklist there is a section to report any damage to the vehicle while in your possession (even vandalism). List any mechanical concerns in the comment section.

The envelope containing the completed checklist, keys and gas cards (if applicable) should be placed in the drop box next to the Central Receiving door on the west end of the building. DO NOT leave van keys in the van.

**If you were in an accident completely fill out an accident report (in the glove box with the insurance and registration information and emergency contact information). Attach a copy of the police report (or the officer’s card with the department’s phone number), and turn it in with the keys. We will contact the insurance company to file a claim if necessary.

Emergency Numbers And Accident Procedures

This information is also in the glove box with the insurance information. If you have a motor pool emergency Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., call: 517-629-0230 Karen Hiatt.

After 4 p.m. and on the weekends, call Campus Safety (517-629-1234) and let them know you have a motor pool emergency. Make sure to leave your location, nature of the problem, and contact number with the Campus Safety dispatcher.

If you spend cash, or charge minor repairs to a personal card, make sure to save all receipts so we can reimburse expenses.

In the event that a College van is involved in an accident, the driver is responsible for ensuring that the steps listed below are taken:

  1. Contact the appropriate law enforcement agency, so that a police report may be completed.
  2. Contact Campus Safety at 517-629-5610 and advise the dispatcher of the accident.
    1. Notify Campus Safety of injured passengers and the hospital to which they are being transported.
    2. In the event that the vehicle is not driveable, Campus Safety will contact Facilities Operations to coordinate the disposition of the vehicle, the arrangement of alternate transportation and other necessary assistance for those on the trip as needed.
  3. Upon return to campus, notify Campus Services and Business Office of the accident, to include date, location, and police report number for the incident.