Corporate and Foundation Relations
Essential funding for Albion grants and programs.
Corporations, foundations, and government agencies are powerful supporters through their funding of institutional priorities at Albion College. Our Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations works to broaden this base of support for our initiatives and programs.
Albion’s Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations also leads and supports Albion College faculty, staff, and administrators in seeking and securing public and private grants through these institutions.
Grants Office Services
- Prospect research to discover potential grant makers whose interests match a proposed project
- Scheduling appointments for the President and/or other College representatives to discuss projects with prospective grant makers as appropriate
- Communicating with contact personnel of prospective grantors
- Assistance with proposal development
- Mailing of the proposal packet and distribution of internal copies of proposals (if necessary)
- Notification and acknowledgement of decisions received from grantors
- Receiving of grant agreements and securing of appropriate signatures on same
- Coordinating with the business office and individual grantee to ensure funds received are appropriately tracked
- Notification to offices of Communications and Provost for appropriate announcement of grants awarded
- Contacting grantors regarding adjustments in funded projects when appropriate
- Reminders of reporting deadlines*
- Maintenance of files of grant proposals
* Project Directors are ultimately responsible for completing all narrative and financial reports required by grant makers.
Grant Proposal Form
A completed Grant Proposal form must be submitted to the grants director well in advance of the external grantor’s deadline. This form helps the Development Office keep accurate records about grants applied for, and will also serve to alert the administrative officers of your plans, indicate the need for regulatory approvals, and identify possible needs (matching funds, special accounts, space, etc.) should your proposal be funded.
The form is available for download using the link below, or it may be obtained from the grants director.
Based on federal law, several regulatory committees have been set up at Albion College.
- If your research involves human subjects or other animals, you must consult with the appropriate committee before submitting your grant proposal for funding.
- The Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews research protocols involving human participants.
- The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees and evaluates all aspects of the College’s use and care of animals.
- If your research involves potentially infectious agents, carcinogens, teratogens, mutagens, hazardous chemicals, and/or radioactive materials or radiation – producing equipment, you need to have your research protocols (SOP) reviewed by the Chemical Hygiene Officer.
- If your research involves in vitro formation of recombinant DNA, you need to consult with the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and the Associate Dean of the Faculty.
Grant Recipient Checklist
Once you are awarded a grant, no matter how small, please do the following:
1. Submit copies of all paperwork received from the grant maker to the grants director in the Office of Institutional Development. This includes official notification of acceptance, financial forms, and signature pages.
2. Follow all instructions received from the grant maker.
3. List report deadlines on your calendar.
4. Contact the Business Office to discuss procedures and set up financial accounts for the new project.
- Work closely with Business Office personnel to facilitate financial transactions especially with government grant makers.
- Keep receipts, enter expenditures in a spreadsheet, and cross check with business office accounting on a regular basis.
5. Contact the grants director regarding grant maker approval of any necessary project revisions.
6. Complete all narrative and financial reports and submit on a timely basis as required by grantor. File copies with the grants director in the Office of Institutional Development.
Proposal Writing Resources
Albion College Resources
Grant Writing Help Sites
- Duke University – Office of Research Support
- James Madison University – Office of Sponsored Programs
- University of Richmond – Successful Proposal Writing
- Michigan State University – Library – Grants
Samples of the Proposal Development Process