Resources for Prospective Teachers
The documents and resources listed here will help guide you as you complete your teacher preparation program at Albion College.
Education students here at Albion College have searched the Web to identify a small sample of Internet sites that are of interest to all in-service and pre-service teachers. Get on the train and visit the sites they have selected.
Resources for Educators
- Sites that Help Classroom Teachers Contains links to hundreds of other sites for all grades and subject areas.
- Edutopia The George Lucas Foundation’s online community to help students receive a 21st-century education.
- National Geographic
- Project Based Science and PIViT The place where one can also download the latest copy of PIViT (Project Integration and Visualization Technology), the renowned project-planning and concept mapping software.
Journals and Other Print Resources
- Newslink Just one of many sites that link to newspapers and magazines in the U.S. and around the world, plus up-to-the-minute news from the Associated Press.
- Education Week It’s THE resource to keep you up-to-date on education in the U.S
- The International Educator Ever think about teaching overseas? This is the site for you. Lots of interesting articles and a huge list of job openings.
- New York Times Learning Network Learning and teaching resources related to current events and journalism. Updated daily, M-F.
- US Department of Education Publications One-stop public access to free copies of publications, posters, videos, and other Dept. of Ed brick-a-brac. You can even order the publications through this site.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education The old-fashioned way of finding out the gossip about what’s going on in the world of higher education.
- Electronic Journal of Science Education Just what it says, a peer-reviewed online journal about science education.
- Heinemann A publisher of fine teacher education texts and resources, primarily related to literacy.
- Leveled Children’s Books Search thousands of books leveled for guided reading,
Reading Recovery, and Accelerated Reader. Also has a chart to compare levels across the three systems.
- Scholastic These are the books nearly every child used in school. Great for parents who want to purchase texts for their children.
- Michigan Department of Education All the information you need related to teaching in Michigan.
- Michigan Association for Computer Users in Learning (MACUL) – provides suggestions and resources for integrating technology into the classroom..
- American Education Research Association (AERA) The mother of all educational research organizations.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) – a diverse, international community of educators, forging covenants in teaching and learning for the success of all learners.
- Head Start One of the first national programs to focus on helping children from low-income families get a “head start” on their education.
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) – a nonprofit professional organization with a worldwide membership of leaders and potential leaders in educational technology.
- National Education Association (NEA) – one of the two largest teacher’s unions.
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT) the other large teacher union.