Michigan Driver’s License Resources Toggle Accordion

F-1 / J-1 student travel within the United States Toggle Accordion

International students may travel within the United States carrying only their original passport and most current original I-20. A travel endorsement on the I-20 is not required. Whenever traveling within 100 miles of the U.S. border, which Albion is, the U.S. immigration service has the authority to ask students for their immigration documents. Note: if you will travel outside of the U.S., even on your way to another U.S. state, you must follow the “Travel outside the U.S.” guidelines below.

F-1 / J-1 student travel outside the United States Toggle Accordion

Two things are important for international students travelling outside of the United States.

What is required to enter the country to which you are travelling:

If visiting a country that is not your country of citizenship, you may need to apply for a visa or immigration paperwork to enter. Requirements vary depending on your citizenship, and the country to which you will travel. Use the Visit Canada site to learn if a visa is required to go to Canada. For other countries, check that country’s tourist information. Note: It can take several weeks to obtain a visa- it is important to apply early.

What is required to return to the United States after your trip:

If you will travel outside of the United States and return in F-1 or J-1 status, you must have the following documents upon re-entry.

  • Valid F-1 or J-1 visa. Ensure it is a multiple entry visa, with the expiration date in the future. Tips when Applying for a US Visa
  • Valid passport with an expiration date that is at least six months beyond the date you will re-enter the U.S.
  • Original and updated I-20 or DS-2019, endorsed by Cristen Casey within the last twelve months. It is preferred to have an endorsement every six months.
  • If on OPT, a valid OPT EAD and proof of employment.

In addition to the required documents for re-entry above, carrying the following documents will minimize the chance of delays or additional questions at the U.S. port of entry:

  • Official or unofficial transcripts
  • Albion College catalog description of your major
  • Current course schedule, with written approvals from your professors excusing any absence due to your travel
  • Documentation regarding the reason for your travel abroad
  • Proof of financial support
  • Resume and/or CV, if you have worked off-campus

If you are missing any of the required documents when you are entering the U.S. you may be allowed to enter the U.S. temporarily. USCIS may issue you a Form I-515A, “Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor.” If you receive an I-515A it is important that you respond in a timely manner. If you do not properly respond, you are at risk for status termination.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officers have the authority to search any and all electronic devices such as mobile phones and laptops brought into the U.S. at a port of entry. In addition, CBP also has the authority to search the social media accounts of individuals entering the US if deemed necessary.

If you miss a connecting flight or have trouble with immigration or Customs, contact Albion College at 517/629-0392 during the day, or if it is after 5 p.m. call Albion College Campus Safety at 517/629-1234—a Campus Safety representative will then get in touch with our Designated School Official.

If you have any questions before you depart the U.S., please contact CIE.

Campus Safety Shuttle Services, returning to Albion Toggle Accordion

By Air

Complete the Campus Safety Shuttle Transportation Form (remember to click “send”) and you are eligible for the Campus Safety DTW airport pickup. After the form has been submitted, Campus Safety will contact you to confirm the arrangements for your transportation to or from the airport. See the Campus Safety Shuttle Transportation web page for additional details.

By Train or Bus

Campus Safety provides free transportation for students to or from the Albion Train station. An Amtrak train arrives Albion daily from Chicago and Detroit. There is also a bus that arrives in Albion each day with service to Chicago or Detroit. Students should call Campus Safety 30 minutes prior to their departure time from or arrival time at the Albion Train station.