Writing Competence Exam
Continuous development as a writer is a central part of a liberal arts education. In order to graduate from Albion, all students must demonstrate college writing proficiency by fulfilling one of the following requirements:
- Receive a 5 on the Advanced Placement Test in English Language and Composition;
- Receive a 5 or higher on one of the International Baccalaureate High Level English tests
- Complete English 101, College Writing, or English 101H, College Writing Honors, at Albion College with a 3.0 or above;
- Transfer a writing course that is the equivalent of English 101 at Albion College with a grade of 3.0 or above;
- Pass the Writing Competence Examination (see details below).
For more information about the Writing Proficiency Requirement (WPR), see the current Academic Catalog.
The Writing Competence Exam is offered multiple times during the year (see the schedule for exam dates and sign-up deadlines).
At the start of each semester, students who plan to take and pass the Writing Competence Examination (WCE) to fulfill their college writing proficiency requirement should review the WCE schedule and go to the online sign-up form to register for a specific exam date that semester.
Upon reaching sophomore status, any student who has not yet fulfilled the writing proficiency requirement as indicated above will be automatically registered for and required to take the WCE during their sophomore year.
- Once you are registered for an exam date, we recommend that you review other exam information, including the sample exam and FAQ.
Please email your request to Scott Hendrix (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Writing Proficiency, at least five days prior to the next exam date.
For additional information about the WCE, review the FAQ and other exam information.