Writing Competence Exam
Continuous development as a writer is a central part of a liberal arts education. In order to graduate from Albion, all students must demonstrate college writing proficiency by fulfilling one of the following requirements:
- Receive a 5 on the Advanced Placement Test in English Language and Composition;
- Receive a 5 or higher on one of the International Baccalaureate High Level English tests
- Complete English 101/English 101W, College Writing, or English 101H/English 102W, College Writing Honors, at Albion College with a 3.0 or above;
- Transfer a writing course that is the equivalent of English 101/English 101W at Albion College with a grade of 3.0 or above;
- Pass the Writing Competence Examination (see details below).
For more information about the Writing Proficiency Requirement (WPR), see the current Academic Catalog.
The Writing Competence Exam is offered multiple times during the year (see the schedule for exam dates). The Writing Competence Exam is taken online. Specific details will be sent to registered students prior to testing.
For the fall 2023 and spring 2024 semesters, students who need to take the WCE will be automatically registered for an exam date. You will be notified via email of the registration and exam date at least a week prior to the date. Students needing to change their sign-up can email WCE@albion.edu.
Upon reaching sophomore status, any student who has not yet fulfilled the writing proficiency requirement as indicated above will be automatically registered for and required to take the WCE.
- Once you are registered for an exam date, we recommend that you review other exam information and the FAQ.
Please email your request to Ian Kelley (email@example.com), Director of Writing, at least five days prior to the next exam date.
For additional information about the WCE, review the FAQ and other exam information.