Masks Required in College Buildings Effective Thursday, August 12, 2021
August 10, 2021
Dear Albion College Community,
The COVID-19 Delta variant and the possibilities of breakthrough infections for vaccinated individuals have changed how the College needs to respond to the pandemic while continuing to protect all of our constituents. Following the recommendations of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) for communities listed as Substantial and High transmission and in consultation with the Calhoun County Public Health Department (CCPHD), Albion College will require ALL faculty, staff, students, and visitors to mask when entering college buildings regardless of vaccination status starting THURSDAY, AUGUST 12, 2021. This requirement and change to our masking policy will remain in effect as long as Calhoun County remains in the Substantial or High Transmission category as defined by the CDC.
- Face coverings are required in all academic, classroom, studio, lab, conference rooms, and meeting spaces.
- Face coverings are required in all dining facilities except when actively eating or drinking.
- Face coverings are required in all communal spaces in residential facilities, but will not be required while students are in their residential room.
- Face coverings will be required for all visitors entering college buildings, including those on admissions tours and those visiting on campus.
- Face coverings are not required when you are alone in your workspace.
- Face coverings will be required in all athletic/recreational spaces (Dow Fieldhouse, Dean Aquatic Center, Washington Gardner, Kresge Gymnasium, Ungrodt Tennis Center) except when individuals are actively engaged in physical activity.
Please be aware that all guidance is subject to change. Policies and requirements will be implemented and relaxed based on the transmission rate status assigned to Calhoun County by the CDC. We are currently working closely with the CCPHD on a policy dashboard that will be utilized to inform the College community of policies that will be enacted to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 on our campus based on the transmission rate in the county and our vaccination rates on campus.
Vaccinations are the key to ending the pandemic. In the coming weeks, the State of Michigan will be offering vaccinations at the Washington Gardner COVID-19 testing center every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If you have any questions about vaccinations or need assistance with finding other vaccination options in Albion, please contact the COVID-19 Response Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your commitment to the health and wellbeing of our whole community.
Associate Dean for Wellness
Vice President for Student Development & Dean of Students