Residency Requirement and Residency Exemption

Albion College affirms the educational benefits inherent in the residential aspect of the undergraduate experience, and as such requires all students to reside and board within the College residential system. As a residential campus, students are expected to reside in College housing for the duration of their enrollment. The Office of Residential Life is committed to helping students make a housing decision that will best meet their individual needs. Albion College's housing options are designed for students to have the opportunity during their 4 years to progress from a traditional housing option as first and second year students to housing options which provide opportunities for greater responsibility and independence to their assigned residential community as seniors.

Student Residence and Board Policies

Exemptions to the residence policy are granted to students who fall under one or more of the following categories:

  1. Commuters, defined as students who reside with their parents or legal guardians not more than 25 miles from the Albion College campus. The residence must be with parents or guardians, not other relatives. The application must be accompanied by evidence that the address given is the bona fide principal residence* of the parents or guardians and has been for at least five years. That should include, at a minimum, a copy of an assessment notice showing that the property is assessed as the principal residence of the owner, and evidence of ownership for the required time. If parents or guardians have changed their principal residence within the five-year period, there must also be evidence of sale of the previous residence. If the parents or guardians rent, and do not own their residence, copies of leases reflecting the necessary continuous period of occupancy must be provided. Further corroborating information may be required at the discretion of the Residential Life staff.
  2. Married students.
  3. Students with legal dependents currently living with them.
  4. Students age 23 or older (housing can be provided if desired).
  5. United States military veterans.

Application to apply for one of the exemptions must be made on a form available at the Office of Residential Life, with supporting documentation as required in the instructions with that form.

*“Principal residence” means the one place where an owner of the property has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return and that shall continue as a principal residence until another principal residence is established.

Automatic exemptions to the board policy are granted to students who fall under one of the following categories:

  1. Apartment residents (Briton House Apartments, Burns Street Apartments, Erie Street Apartments, Mae Harrison Karro Residential Village, and Munger Apartments).
  2. Fraternity members.
  3. Students not residing in College owned housing.
    1. Students who do not qualify for the exemption listed above may submit a Petition for Special Housing Accommodation or Board Exemption Petition based on extreme or unusual circumstances. Petitions should be submitted to the Director for Residential Life during the room selection process for the following academic year. These petitions will be reviewed by the Residential Life Petitions Review Committee. Board petitions are usually granted for medical purposes only. Such petitions must be supported by the Residential Life Petitions Review Committee.

There will be no refund of the room fee once the semester begins, including the room fee charged to students who are granted an exemption to the residence policy.

To Petition for Residency Exemption, students must complete a Petition through the Office of Residential Life by Tuesday, March 13, 2018 by 4:00 PM. These students must fall into one or more of the 5 categories listed above. Petitions can be obtained online as well as from the Office of Residential Life (Ferguson 124).

Please note that the Petitions Committee only meets once annually. All decisions being rendered are for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. Therefore, if a student is interested in Petitioning for Residency Exemption for Spring 2019, they should submit their Petition durng the Spring 2018 Room Selection Process. Students should plan accordingly.