RA Application & Hiring Process
Below are the documents that you will need to complete for the application:
The Application will be completed by following the link, and completing the application. The reference page may be emailed to your references or printed and given to them. A Resume and a Statement of Interest may be uploaded with the application or emailed under a separate cover.
Each RA Candidate interview will be approximately 30 minutes long. It will focus on why you are applying, any relevant experience you may have, and what you hope to accomplish as an RA. There will also be time at the end for the candidates to ask any questions they may have. Interviews will be scheduled between February 13-22, 2019.
- Research the position. Know about all aspects of the staff member role including programming, peer helping, student conduct, community building, staff interactions, etc.
- Reflect on why you want a position as a RA and what you hope to accomplish in the position.
- Review activities you have done recently so that you can demonstrate how your experiences could assist you as a staff member.
- Think about what makes you unique. Ask yourself the question, "Would I hire myself as a staff member and why?"
- Dress professional for the interview. Wear something that makes you feel relaxed and confident and that would make a good first impression.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes early. Confirm the time and place.
- Remain calm. Remember that you should be yourself during the interview. Take a deep breath before you enter the room.
- Acknowledge each member of the interviewing team. Offer to shake hands and introduce yourself.
- Maintain eye contact and listen intently. Make sure you understand the question before you answer. Ask for clarification if you need to. It is perfectly acceptable to pause and reflect for a few moments before you answer the question. Remember to answer all parts of the question.
- Use appropriate language when responding to questions. Remember to speak clearly and confidently.
Interview Dress Code
Candidates are encouraged to dress professionally. Nylons or a tie are not required, but it is important to make an effort to look like you want the job. As mentioned above, wear something that makes you relaxed and confident.
Shadowing: Duty Night & Programming
Each RA Applicant is required to "shadow" an RA in 3 areas: Bulletin Board, Duty Night, and Program. Shadowing will provide an apportunity for applicants to get a true sense of what is involved in the RA position. Please select an RA in one of the Residence Halls on campus and schedule a time to shadow them. RA applicants will need to complete the Job Shadow process by no later than March 2nd to be considered for the Resident Assistant position. Please see attached document for further details.