International Academic Records

What academic records do I send?

Academic records should include official copies of all of your academic work from upper secondary school and any post-secondary work you have taken since completing secondary school.

International admission requirements are based on the requirements to enter university in your home country, with consideration for special circumstances and the holistic approach to US university admissions.

Official:Official documents are those that are issued by the appropriate authority and are clearly identifiable as coming from that source. They should be final and include all coursework or results. We do accept copies if they have been certified or attested; specific requirements depend on the country. To be considered official documents must be sent by a school counselor, EducationUSA counselor, or another educational officer. If exam results are able to be certified online, Albion College may accept unofficial versions that include the required verification information.

Translations:Certified translations are required if the original academic records are not issued by the authorizing body in English. We will not review applications that don’t include both the original language official document and a certified translation. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide both documents.

Transcripts:Transcripts are official documents detailing the classroom performance of students over time, and provide a history of academic performance. They are common in systems where completion of studies is determined by meeting class and grade requirements over time, such as in the United States and Canada. Transcripts are typically issued by the school the student attended.

Examination Results/Secondary Exam Certificates:Many countries require students to take exams administered externally, not by the school. The successful passing of these exams demonstrates that the student has completed secondary school and an official examination certificate is required for admission. Typically, this certificate is named “Certificate of Secondary Education”, “Senior Secondary Examination Certificate”, or similar. Documents should include both the results of exams and the conferral of the certificate. Provisional results slips, screenshots of website, and similar unofficial documents cannot be used for application review.

Internal Mark Sheets:Internal Mark Sheets are common in systems that require Secondary Examinations for completion. They show a student's performance over time as recorded by the school, but because completion is based on secondary exams they are not considered transcripts. They are required to accompany Secondary Examination Certificates to allow Albion to review historic academic performance.

French-style Systems:A relevé de notes is required for application review. You must provide a certified copy of bac results to confirm secondary completion.

Final Documents:If you were in secondary school at the time of admission, you must provide evidence of completion before you can begin classes. For students using a transcript, a final transcript demonstrating that you received your high school degree meets this requirement.

Both Secondary Examination Certificates and Internal Mark Sheets are required from applicants who have studied in the following country systems. This is a partial list; you may be required to send both documents if your country is not on this list.

International Baccalaureate Malaysia
Australia* Mongolia
Bangladesh Nigeria
Botswana Pakistan
Cameroon - British system Sierra Leone
Caribbean Commonwealth countries Singapore
Gambia South Africa
Ghana Sri Lanka
Hong Kong Swaziland
India Tanzania
Ireland Uganda
Kenya United Kingdom
Liberia Zimbabwe

*Australia - Requirements based on state, email for more information

Transfer Students:If you have attended any post-secondary institution after completing secondary school, we must have official documents showing all coursework for every institution you attended in addition to secondary school records. You should obtain official documents or certified copies, certified translations if the original is not in English, and send them to Albion College. We acknowledge that most universities will not send documents overseas, and will accept sealed envelopes you send.

  • If you decide to enroll, you will only receive credit for previous work outside of the US if we receive an official evaluation report directly from a NACES-approved service.

International Student Admission Requirements

Welcome to the Albion College international admission Web site.

International Student Admission and Enrollment

What it takes to be a Briton starts here.

Admission Criteria

  • Albion College reviews application on a holistic basis – this means that we look at academic performance over time, in classwork and exams, on standardized tests, and with consideration of the essay, letters of recommendation, and any other material that are sent.
  • Academic Achievement:
    • Above-average grades, marks, or exam results in a college-preparatory curriculum for all upper secondary and post-secondary studies. We consider academic performance and strengths throughout your secondary education.
    • SAT, ACT, TOEFL, and/or IELTS results that demonstrate preparation for the Albion classroom
  • English Proficiency: Required for all students – see English Proficiency Requirements.
  • Essays and Letters of Recommendation should demonstrate your preparation for the college classroom and the qualities that you bring to the Albion College community.
  • International admission requirements are based on the requirements to enter university in your home country, with consideration for special circumstances and the holistic approach to US university admissions.

Priority Dates for Scholarship Consideration:

  • October 1 for Spring term (January)
  • March 1 for Fall term (August)
    • Students who apply Early Action and submit complete applications by December 1 will receive a decision in 2-4 weeks.

Applying to Albion:

Complete the application and send the required documents

Early Admission or Rolling Admission?

  • Early Action – Fall term applications with all requested supporting documents received by December 1 should receive a decision in early January.
  • Rolling Admission – Applications are reviewed as they become complete, with a priority date of March 1 for fall entry. Review typically takes 2-4 weeks.

Which Application?

There are two applications to choose from; there is no preference or effect on the decision. We suggest you read the instructions carefully and gather needed information before beginning the form.

Admission Requirements detail which documents are required and how they should be sent. Please read it carefully and email if you have any questions.

Read about the Academic Records that Albion requires.

An application is not complete until all requirements have been met, including any requests for additional material. You may be required to send additional documents later.

  • Note that some requirements will be completed online through your Albion Student Portal.

Where should I send documents?

Documents may be mailed to following the guidelines above, uploaded to the Common Application through your school counselor, or mailed to us at:

Office of Admissions
Albion College
611 East Porter Street
Albion, MI 49224 USA

You should obtain official documents and certified translations if the original is not in English, and send them to Albion College. We acknowledge that most schools and universities will not send documents overseas, and will accept documents sent following the guidelines above.

What happens after I apply?

Once all required documents are received, we will review your application and determine if it meets requirements for admission. Review can take 2-4 weeks once all requested materials are received.

Check your application status and email often!

One of the following outcomes is possible:

  1. Request for additional documents or information
  2. Hold the record for additional documents or information
  3. Admission with financial reward
  4. Denial

Check your application status here!

What happens after admission?

If you are admitted, you will receive an email notifying you of the change in your status, you will receive an admission letter and financial award letter by courier, and you will probably hear from our staff and students. Then the following will be happen:

  • Research and apply to an Albion Center and Institute . A video interview may be part of this process.
  • Download and begin completing the Albion College Statement of Financial Support including proof of funding
  • Ask us questions – learn about Albion, the daily life of students, and how they achieve their goals. Ask students how they funded their education.

You may be invited to:

  • Apply for the Global Scholar Program
  • Submit an audition or portfolio for a fine arts scholarship

What happens after I decide to enroll?

Welcome to the community! Once you confirm your enrollment with the non-refundable Enrollment Deposit in your Albion Student Portal, there are several steps that must be completed no less than 2 months before you arrive.

  1. Complete the steps in your Albion Student Portal to confirm your plans, pay your enrollment deposit, and become a Briton.
  2. Send a complete and accurate Albion College Statement of Financial Support with all of the required bank documents, sponsor letters, and any scholarship letters from external sources.
  3. Complete all of the forms in your Albion Student Portal:
    • Verification Form for I-20
    • Academic Assessments that determine the correct courses you will take (first-year students only)
    • Academic Questionnaire and First Year Seminar Selection (first-year students only)
    • Student Housing Request Form
    • Student Health Record
    • (Optional) Student Parking Permit Registration
  4. Request your official, final transcripts from your previous institution. These will be required upon arrival to confirm your eligibility to enroll.
  5. Students who have attended post-secondary institutions outside of the US must request an official credential evaluation report from a qualifying evaluation agency in order to transfer the courses to Albion College.


Check your Albion email account at least 3 times a week – Housing, Student Life, the Registrar, and the Center for International Education will send important messages there.

The Visa Process

In order to qualify for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, you must qualify for admission and provide evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses. Once Albion has issued an I-20 on your behalf, you can schedule and complete the visa interview process. Please allow 3 months for this process; if we have not received qualifying financial documents 2 months before arrival we reserve the right to cancel your admission.

International Student Estimated Costs and Financial Aid

International students attending Albion College are eligible for scholarships.

Meaningful investments will build a life of purpose.

Albion College International Scholarships

International students who meet or exceed the minimum requirements for admission will be awarded academic scholarships . In determining scholarships, we look at a student's overall application, academic achievement and potential for success at Albion College. Scholarships are also available to recognize fine arts talent; students must submit an audition or portfolio for review after admission.

We have many more qualified international applicants than we can support though our financial aid awards. In general, families must be able to contribute most of the cost attendance from sources outside of Albion College.

Estimated Cost for International Students

Before you apply to Albion College, it’s important to review our costs and make a family financial plan. We require the Financial Planning Worksheet as part of your application, and you should discuss this with those who will support your studies. Once you are admitted, you will be required to submit a detailed Statement of Financial Support to document your available funding.

Estimated Costs for International Students

2017-2018 Estimate*
Tuition and Fees $43,050
Housing and Meals $12,210
Personal Expenses $2,000
Health Insurance $1,450

*Estimates for 2018-19 will be available in late fall and will be updated in the Statement of Financial Support.

International students are to purchase health insurance coverage approved by the college. For this reason, the estimate may not reflect the cost estimate for US Citizens and Permanent Residents.

In order to receive the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility necessary for your visa application, you must be admitted to Albion College and submit the necessary documentation showing that you have the funds to cover your first year of study. Please complete the Statement of Financial Support no later than 2 months before your intended term of entry.

External Sources for Financial Assistance

Albion has opened my mind to things that I would not have learned otherwise; from the city of Albion to the homemade solar panels in Israel and everything in between. With every class and extracurricular activity that I do, I find myself expanding my horizons. Roohia, Pakistan, Sociology, 2018

Living in residence halls allows you to meet more people and lets you get more work done. There are study areas you can use, and if all that is distracting, you have a million other places to go study. Erris, Kosovo, Mathematics, 2019

International Students' FAQs

Students at the spring 2012 International Dinner in Albion College's Baldwin Hall.

You have questions. We have answers.

Where is Albion College?

Albion College is located in Albion, Michigan, which is in the beautiful south-central region of the state between the cities of Ann Arbor and Battle Creek. Our campus is spacious with state-of-the-art facilities, lots of green space, a nature center and equestrian center. Albion College is near Interstate 94, making it within driving distance of many major cities. Albion is 150 km west of Detroit, 300 km east of Chicago and 540 km west of Toronto. View our map and directions

What is a liberal arts education?

Currently regarded as the best preparation for a professional career (according to top corporations and graduate schools), the liberal arts tradition dates back several centuries. It ensures a breadth and depth of inquiry into the humanities, sciences, social sciences, and creative arts—ultimately developing valuable tools and skills for career success and lifelong learning. Visit to learn more.

What is the difference between a college and a university?

Traditionally, colleges offer degrees after 2 years (associates) or 4 years (bachelors) and are smaller, while universities offer associates, bachelors, masters, doctoral and other degrees and are a group of schools – sometimes also called college. Today there may be small schools that are called university, too. Albion College is bachelors-only institution. Find more at Study in the USA.

What can I study at Albion?

Choose from one of our programs of study, or work with our faculty to design your own major. Students will not be required to choose a major until their second year, but you should be prepared to talk about your academic interests in your application and visa interview.

What if Albion College does not offer an academic major that interests me?

You may design your own academic major (with faculty and staff approval). We encourage you to think of new ways to make your Albion experience unique.

What makes Albion stand out?

Albion's academic program blends the classic foundation of the liberal arts and sciences with innovative, pre-professional course work and internships. Our institutes, centers, and programs offer professional preparation and semester, yearlong, and summer internships all over the world. We're one of the leading colleges in the U.S. for undergraduate research.

Who attends Albion College?

Total enrollment at Albion is approximately 1,500 students. Our students come from  25 states and 20 foreign countries and represent the diversity of the United States. Find out more about student life.

How successful are Albion College graduates?

Very successful - we let our alumni speak for themselves. Find their success stories here.

How selective is Albion College? How are admissions decisions made?

Albion places a high value on a rigorous college preparatory curriculum within the holistic review of applications. Therefore, we place great weight on grade averages, difficulty of courses taken, and consistency in academic performance. We also consider what you have done outside of the classroom adn the qualities that you will bring to the Albion community. Standardized test scores are used as a platform to normalize student performance at schools around the world and measure English proficiency. We have many more qualified international candidates than we are able to admit, and this makes scholarship consideration highly competitive.

Can I apply as a transfer student?

Yes. Official transcripts (certified and translated into English) are required from every college or university you have attended. Upon enrollment, an external evaluation by a NACES approved evaluation company may be required for universities outside of the US or as deemed necessary for evaluation by the Registrar.

I am a dual citizen of the USA and another country can I choose to apply as an international student?

You should apply as a U.S. Citizen and take advantage of financial aid awarded by the government that may not be available to international students. You would apply as a domestic student and follow the domestic procedures for admission, and are required by US law to enter on your US passport. Our Office of Student Financial Services can help you complete the FAFSA form that is required for federal aid.

Do you have an admissions counselor who works with Americans living abroad?

Yes, we have staff members dedicated to working with U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents with schooling overseas, for students living in off-shore U.S. territories and possessions, and for Americans living in other countries. If you have U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency, you should always apply as a domestic student.

How does Albion review exam-based academic records?

In most cases, a grade point average (GPA) is derived and weighed on a four-point scale based on a conversion from the host school's grading system. This is only part of the application review.

Are my grades the most important part of my application?

Yes, but not the only important part. We also look at the difficulty of classes you've taken, academic performance over time, performance on exams such as the TOEFL, IELTS, SAT and/or ACT, as well as engagement inside and outside of the classroom. Find application requirements here.

Can I apply with only my GCSE/IGCSE/O-Levels?

We accept applications from students who have completed their O-Levels and will complete 11-12 years of primary and secondary education. Applicants who have only completed these exams should send internal marks sheets as well, and take the ACT or SAT.

How long do decisions take?

We should have a decision in 2 to 4 weeks as long as you have provided all of the requirements for admission. Please note that sometimes decisions may take longer due to staff availability. Please check your application status regularly to learn if we have asked for additional materials.

How do I receive my acceptance letter and I-20?

Once you have decided to enroll at Albion, you will pay a non-refundable Enrollment Deposit and complete several forms that gather the information we need to issue an I-20 on your behalf. Once we have issued this document, we will send the packet to you by courier.

Does Albion College offer full-tuition scholarships?

We do not provide full scholarship support. International students who demonstrate superior academic achievement and potential for success often receive substantial academic merit scholarships. Most students contribute $25,000-$35,000 per year toward their studies. Excellent students admitted by March 1 will be invited to apply for our competitive Global Scholar Program.

Will Albion help me with employment opportunities?

The Internship and Career Center assists students with employment both on and off campus. To be considered for student employment, students must have the appropriate visa to work in the United States, and complete additional federal documents once they have a job. Working on an F-1 visa involves many regulations; however, you should be able to work up to 20 hours per week on campus; off campus employment is restricted by immigration regulations, and you will work with the Center for International Education for clearance for any internships and employment after your degree. Learn more about student employment here.

How much money will I be able to earn annually?

Student wages vary depending on the kind of job you get and how many hours you work per week. On-campus jobs typically pay between $7.40 to $9.00 per hour. During the academic year, full-time students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. When school is not in session, you can work up to 40 hours a week on campus. You can expect to earn $1,500-$2,000 per year as a student employee, and positions must meet immigration regulations.

What kind of services are available for international students at Albion?

A wide variety of services are available for international students in particular and all Albion students.

What are my housing and meal options?

All students are required to live in campus housing for their entire degree. All first-year students are housed in either Wesley Hall or Seaton Hall. This allows you to become familiar with Albion and to make friends quickly. More information can be found at the Office of Residential Life.

All of our students love Albion Dining Services. There are several facilities that you have access to in your meal plan, and older students may live in apartments (for an increased fee) that allows them to cook some meals on their own. The on-campus food is so good, though, you’ll probably eat in Baldwin Dining Hall with your friends – and see quite a few staff, too!

Will I be able to stay on campus during school holidays?

Yes, international students may obtain approval to stay on campus during school-breaks if they do not have another option. We'll help you make arrangements. Our dining hall is not open during holidays, so students will need to prepare their own meals. Students may stay on campus over the summer if they have campus employment.

How do Albion students spend their free time?

Our students are active. They do everything. See for yourself.

Are there student organizations at Albion that promote internationalism and multiculturalism?

Yes. Albion has more than 100 student organizations, and there are several groups devoted to diversity and awareness, including our International Student Union.

Will my religious faith be welcomed on campus?

Yes. At Albion, we value all faiths and individual spiritual development. The Office of the Chaplain supports programs that promote innovative thought on ethics, religion, and social responsibility from all perspectives and the Office of Intercultural Affairs supports underrepresented students by promoting awareness of multicultural issues among all students, staff, and faculty.

Can you place me in communication with current students and faculty?

Absolutely, whenever possible, qualified applicants can be connected with current students and faculty upon request. We just ask that you take advantage of the opportunity to ask them good questions!

How do I obtain a visa to study at Albion College?

After you meet all the admission criteria, the Office of Admission will issue you a Form 1-20 which will allow you to apply for a visa at your local United States Consulate. Learn more at

If I am on a B visitor visa, can I seek a change of state I-20?

No, at this time, students on B (visitor) visas are not eligible for a Change of Status to an F-1. Students approved for a change of status I-20 must complete the change of status before entering the US and commencing at Albion College.

Do I have to fill out a Statement of Financial Support and provide proof of funding if I am on a G, H or similar visa?

Yes, at this time we require that you still demonstrate that the funds necessary to pay for your studies at Albion College are available to you. This will be kept on file and may be helpful if you decide to change to F-1 status at a later date.

What can I do to prepare for my departure?

We encourage you to attend an EducationUSA pre-departure session. It's not mandatory for incoming international students, but we feel these sessions are very valuable. We have excellent relationships with EducationUSA officers throughout the world. Please visit EducationUSA for more information and locations.

What should I bring from home to the United States?

You should bring prescription medicines, glasses, or other medical supplies that may not be available in the U.S. You'll need warm clothes for the winter in Michigan, and these may be purchased in Albion but if you are arriving in January you should bring a warm coat and shoes with you on the plane. We arrange special outings and events to accommodate our international students' needs.

Albion has opened my mind to things that I would not have learned otherwise; from the city of Albion to the homemade solar panels in Israel and everything in between. With every class and extracurricular activity that I do, I find myself expanding my horizons. Roohia, Pakistan, Sociology, 2018

The academics are rigorous, yet fun. My professors challenge me, but also understand that have other things going on in my life. I have gotten a lot of help looking for summer opportunities from various people at Albion – and this summer I’ll be doing research on campus! Matt, USA, Biology, 2019

I enjoy any opportunity to interact with professors in real life, like watching Dr. Harris perform blues at Washington Gardner, playing soccer with Dr. Streu, or listening to the jazz ensemble with Dr. Metz. Those are my favorite interactions. Liliya, Russia, Chemistry and Mathematics, 2019

Contact Us

Have questions about International Admission?

We're here to help. Contact us directly by email or by filling out the form below.

Office of Admission –

Director of International Recruitment - Betsy Morley

Director of the Center for International Education - Cristen Casey


More Articles ...