Student Health Services

Changes at Student Health Services

Student Health Services is now closed for medical services.  Oaklawn Medical Group and Express Care-Albion is open on the lower floor of Munger Place to see students.  Entry is off the N. Monroe Street side of the building, across the side street from Biggby Coffee.  The Express Care walk-in clinic is available 11am-8pm Monday-Saturday. Please remember to bring your Albion College ID and your Insurance Card with you when using Express Care. The number for the Express Care clinic is 517-654-1020.

Students without insurance may call the Health Care Navigator at 517-629-6578 for assistance with health insurance needs.

 Cheryl Krause BSN, RN-BC will continue to be available in the Student Health Services office to assist with questions regarding business matters such as, insurance questions, referral resources, assistance with coordination of ongoing care and transition to the new Clinic.  Feel free to stop in or contact her at  517-629-0220 or email .

IMPORTANT:  Express Care is not designed to treat medical emergencies.

Students who are experiencing a medical emergency should call Campus Safety 517-629-0911 or 517-629-1234

Medical emergencies include, but are not limited to:

  • Head injury/Unconsciousness
  • Uncontrolled bleeding
  • Broken bones
  • Chest pain
  • Trouble breathing
  • Overdose
  • Severe burns
  • Severe abdominal pain
For symptoms that are not life-threatening when Express Care is closed, call FONEMED at 1-855-851-2208 toll-free, for confidential advice from Registered Nurses and follow their instructions.  In these situations, Campus Safety can only transport you to a hospital after hours with prior authorization from FONEMED.
Sick After Hours?

If you are having respiratory or stomach illness, remember to check out the Self-Care Guide on-line or contact FONEMED toll-free at 1-855-851-2208 to speak with an after-hours triage nurse.

Try the Online Self-Care Guide (Current Albion students will need to log in with their network ID and password.)

Confidentiality of Medical Records

Health care records are maintained in files separate from the student's academic files and cannot be accessed by faculty, staff, administration, parents or other students. As required by law, student health records will be maintained for 7 years after students graduate.

Protected Health Information is completely confidential. Students must sign a written authorization to release Protected Health Information to anyone, including faculty and family members. Protected Health Information may also be released for medical treatment, medical services, and as required by law.

E-Mail Policy

Student Health Services welcomes your interest and contact. We also value your privacy. Please consider the following information prior to sending e-mail:

E-mail is not an appropriate medium for questions regarding individual, private, personal health. It is most appropriate for getting general information regarding services, resources or other campus information. We cannot guarantee that the contents of an e-mail message will remain confidential. While we will do our best to keep communication private, e-mail usage can be monitored and others may read the content of your personal messages.

Staff access to e-mail is also limited to Student Health Services work hours. There is no expectation that SHS staff will check e-mail after hours. Also, there is no way of knowing if a specific staff member is unavailable due to illness, vacation, or other business. This means that your message may not be read immediately. E-mail should never be used for urgent communication. When time is of particular concern for you, please always call Student Health Services at 629-0220.

Read the story: Albion College, Oaklawn Enter Partnership to Expand Health Services to Students, Community Starting in 2019

Albion College/Oaklawn Agreement Q&A

  • Why is Student Health Services closing? The College believes that the transition of healthcare for students from the current clinic in the Cass Street building to the clinic at Munger Place will provide additional services not offered by the current clinic. These include evening and weekend hours of operation, x-ray services, and greater access to physicians and physician assistants. In addition to these benefits for our students, citizens of our community will also have access to healthcare during the evening and weekends that is not currently available.
  • How will payment of services and insurance billing be handled in the new clinic? Will I have to pay every time I go to the new clinic? The new clinic will function as most doctors’ offices, accepting commercial insurance, Medicaid, cash, checks and credit cards. The amount of payment due when visiting the clinic depends on the type of insurance being billed, and the service provided. Students will need to provide insurance information to the clinic when they are seen. Co-pays and deductibles will be handled as they would be in a physician’s office. Someone on staff at the clinic will be available to assist students with their billing questions.
  • Did the College do this to make or save money? This decision to partner with Oaklawn Hospital was made to provide additional access to healthcare, physicians and physician assistants/ nurse practitioners for our students and the greater Albion community. The care and access that will be provided by the new clinic have not been available to the Albion community since the closing of Trillium Hospital in 2002.
  • What are the hours? At this time Oaklawn intends to have the Family Practice clinic open 8:00 A.M.—5:00 P.M. (517-629-2134)  and Express Care open Monday thru Friday from 11 A.M.—8:00 P.M., and Saturdays from 11:00 A.M.– 8:00 P.M. (517-654-1020). Oaklawn is open to adding hours on Sundays if the need is present.
  • Will the new facility provide the same care currently provided by Student Health Services? The College is confident that this partnership will result in the same or even better care for our students, given the expanded services and hours of operation. In addition, Cheryl Krause, BSN, RN-BC, will continue in her position to ensure that students are receiving the care they need from the clinic to be successful Albion students.
  • Will this new clinic be Urgent Care? No. While the extended hours clinic will function much like an Urgent Care, there will not be a physician on site at all hours when the clinic is providing service. Specifically, x-ray services will be limited to the times a physician is present at the clinic, so the clinic does not fit the definition of an Urgent Care facility.
  • If the clinic is going to be open to the public, will I experience long waits to be seen by a health care provider? Oaklawn Hospital intends to add additional staff, including a physician assistant or nurse practioner, to handle the expected increase in the number of people utilizing the services of the clinic. In addition, there will be walk in hours every day for those needing care to be seen on short notice.
  • How will I get to the clinic? As the Munger Place building is located just two blocks from the Quad, students will be able to walk to the clinic when they need healthcare services. Campus Safety will assist students who are ill or injured to get to and from the clinic, as well as after dark.

To learn more about Oaklawn's impact and history in our community, visit their website

Help Our Campus Stay Healthy

Albion College Campus is not currently being effected by the increasing number of norovirus and influenza cases in the State of Michigan. The following information may decrease the chances of these two illnesses becoming a problem for the campus.  If you have questions please call Student Health Services at 517-629-0220.

What are noroviruses?
Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause the “stomach flu,” or gastroenteritis (GAS-tro-en-ter-I-tis), in people.

Can norovirus infections be prevented?
You can decrease your chance of coming in contact with noroviruses by following these preventive steps:

  • Frequently wash your hands, especially after toilet visits and changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.
  • Carefully wash fruits and vegetables, and steam oysters before eating them.
  • Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness by using a bleach-based household cleaner.
  • Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens that may be contaminated with virus after an episode of illness (use hot water and soap).
  • Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean.

For more information go to

Influenza “The Flu”  One of the best and most effective methods of prevention is to get vaccinated for the flu, as State health authorities continue to encourage people to have a Flu Shot if they have not already received one this season. Flu shots continue to be available from the local health department and the doctors offices.  The Calhoun County Health Department is available Monday-Friday 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm. They can be reached at 629-9434. 

Additionally, keeping hands clean, and covering coughs and sneezes are important to keep flu viruses from spreading.  Hand sanitizer, and disinfecting wipes are available through Facility Operations, and departments are encouraged to order them.   

  • Steps That Will Help You Avoid Contracting the Flu
  • Wash your hands, especially before eating, after using the bathroom, after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.  If no soap and water are available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
  • Cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing.  Sneeze or cough into your sleeve, not into your open hand. 
  • Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth. 
  • Drink plenty of fluids, water is the preferred choice.
  • Dress appropriately for the weather.
  • Get plenty of sleep.
  • Exercise regularly.

For more information go to

Athletic Physical Forms  
Sexual Assault and Harassment Procedures