Active Shooter Information
If Shots Heard on Campus
Call Campus Safety x0911 or 517/629-0911
Campus Safety will then immediately:
- Call Albion Department of Public Safety (ADPS)
- Send a message through the College Alert system via telephone, text, email, campus siren/PA system to the campus community
- Initiate building lock-down procedures
Once you have received the message, evaluate your surroundings for signs of danger: gunfire, smoke/flames, explosion, people fleeing.
If you ARE NOT in the vicinity of the shooter, DO NOT approach or attempt to enter that area. Go to a safe place, monitor a source of information, and remain there until you are notified it is safe to resume normal activity.
If you ARE in the vicinity of the shooter, you have three options: Run, Hide, or Fight
- Have an escape route or plan in mind and leave your belongings behind
- Help others escape if possible, but most importantly get out whether they agree to go or not
- Do not attempt to move or assist the wounded
- Try to prevent others from entering the area where the shooter may be
- Get to a safe place and call Campus Safety
- Hide in an area outside the shooters view
- Lock the door or block the entrance to your hiding place
- Silence your cell phone (including vibrate) and remain quiet
- Fight only as last resort and when your life is in imminent danger
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter and act with as much physical aggression as possible
- Improvise weapons or throw objects at the shooter, making sure you commit to your actions as your life depends on it
For more information please visit the link below to a video on surviving Active Shooter events.
Run, Hide, or Fight.