Media Relations Policy and Procedures
The students, faculty, staff and alumni of Albion College are extremely proud of its programs, activities and accomplishments. It is important to present the College in a manner that is both accurate and consistent with its mission. Therefore, it is the College’s responsibility to provide accurate and consistent information to avoid any misunderstanding, misinterpretation or confusion.
In the interest of orderly and proactive management of the information released to the Media, the following policy and procedures are in effect:
The primary College Spokesperson is the Vice President for Marketing and Communication (269) 832- 8454. In the Vice President’s absence, the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication (734) 320-7977, will serve in that capacity.
The College Spokesperson will provide broad, general information in response to Media inquiries. However, for matters that require more detailed information, the Spokesperson will work with and through the Cabinet to respond accordingly.
Responses to Inquiries from the Media:
- Deans, directors, faculty and staff will not respond to inquiries from the media concerning matters such as personnel issues, crisis management, emergencies, College policies and fiscal operations. Instead, such inquiries should immediately be directed to the Vice President of Marketing and Communication or the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication (the College Spokespeople), who will respond accordingly.
- Deans, directors, faculty and staff may respond directly to media inquiries on ordinary, day-to-day matters such as course information, awards, special events, scholarships, publications, etc. However, all inquiries should be reported immediately to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication by telephone (734) 320-7977.
The College Spokesperson will:
- be informed promptly when any member of the Albion College community receives inquiries from the news media
- keep the Vice President of Marketing and Communication informed of all relevant media situations and inquiries (the Vice President, in turn, will inform the President and Cabinet)
- consult with the President to prepare statements to release to the media
- inform the President’s Cabinet of all relevant media situations and inquiries
The Senior Director of Marketing and Communication will:
- distribute all College news releases, review and approve those prepared by other members of the College and check with relevant personnel [President, Vice Presidents, Dean and/or designated contact person(s)] as needed for accuracy
- keep the President and other senior administrators informed of all relevant media situations and inquiries by direct communication or through the Vice President of Marketing and Communication
- retain and file copies of all news releases distributed by Albion College, establishing a central locale for all College communication with the media
- ensure all Albion College news releases are posted on the websites of Albion College, as relevant
Media on Campus
To ensure the privacy of Albion College students, faculty, staff and guests, all external news media should contact the Office of Marketing and Communication, (734) 320-7977, prior to visiting. All media must be escorted while on campus.