Graduating from Albion
Reminders to F-1 students, as you graduate from Albion.
- Your I-20 program end date will be shortened to Albion’s graduation date.
- F-1 students have a 60 day grace period after the graduation date.
- During the grace period, F-1 students may apply for OPT, request an I-20 for a new program, change status, or leave the US.
- F-1 students are not authorized to work after the program end date on the I-20, during the grace period. This includes on-campus, or with CPT.
Steps to SEVIS transfer your F-1 record:
- Gain admission to a SEVIS-authorized school.
- Check with the new school’s international officer (DSO), and learn what is required to obtain a transfer-in I-20. In some cases, they require a form to be signed by your current school’s DSO- at Albion, this is the CIE Director, Cristen Casey.
- Submit the Request to Transfer Form and admission letter to the new school to email@example.com. Indicate the date that you would like your SEVIS record to be transferred.
- On the transfer release date, your Albion record deactivates and all Albion College work authorizations end. The new school now has access to your immigration records. Note: If your Albion College I-20 program end date expires before the transfer release date, your Albion College work authorizations end on that program end date.
- Complete the new institution’s requirements to obtain a new I-20.
If you are traveling internationally between the end of your last semester at Albion College and the first semester at your new school, you cannot re-enter the U.S. on your Albion College I-20. You must obtain a Transfer-Pending I-20 from the new school and re-enter using that document.