Internships and Jobs
Job Pursuit: The Interview Fair
JobPursuit is an event that takes place in the early part of each spring semester. This year, JobPursuit will be held on Friday, February 17 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Study Away Opportunities
Off campus experiential learning experiences, like study away, study abroad, internships, research, paid work experiences, volunteer work and even summer jobs, provide you with the opportunity to translate what you are learning in the classroom into real world action. Stand out and design your next adventure now.
Recommended Resources for Internships and Jobs
- Coolworks.com – job and internship site for the adventurous student and graduate
- Idealist.org – internship opportunities worldwide focused on non-profit organizations
- Internships.com – Internships.com claims to be the world’s largest internship marketplace bringing students, employers and higher education institutions together in one centralized location.
- Pure Michigan Talent Connect – Michigan Talent Bank connects you to postings on company websites of internship and job opportunities in Michigan
- Michigan.gov/intern – internships with the State of Michigan in various agencies and departments
- Mlive – Job listings in Michigan listed with Mlive
- Pathways to Equity – Improving women’s access to good middle-skill jobs can help close the wage gap and improve women’s economic security. The Pathways to Equity Initiative shows job changes that can improve women’s economic standing and meet employers’ demands for skilled workers.
- Science Jobs and Internships – Comprehensive list from the Albion College Library
- UnitedOPT – Job portal for international students providing internships as well as employment assistance to students who are looking for OPT/CPT/H-1B visa jobs.
- USAJobs – Government website where nearly all federal government jobs are posted.
- ZipRecruiter – Great resource being touted as the best job search engine.
LinkedIn Job Search – The world’s largest professional network to build relationships and connect with opportunity. Use LinkedIn Job Search to harness the power of your network to uncover insights such as whom you know at a company, providing you an edge in your job search.
LinkedIn Internship Search – Same powerful tool as LinkedIn Job Search, but focused on internships.
General Internship Advice
In today’s competitive job market, it is extremely important for you to obtain experience related to your career ambitions. Employers will be asking you about your internships, part-time jobs, and summer jobs to assess your ability to perform in a full-time position. Companies are now using internships as one of the most common methods to select new employees. Albion College can help you with this process through your faculty advisor, your institute, and the Career and Internship Center.
- Use ALL resources available to you including all personal and professional contacts, the Career and Internship Center, and your faculty advisor.
- Apply early and apply often to any opportunity that might interest you. Do not turn down a job or internship that you have not been offered!
- Be certain you have a quality resume and associated application materials before applying— the Career and Internship Center is available to assist you!
- Use the Registrar’s Internship Form to receive credit for your internship
Additional Internship Sources
Research and/or Fellowship Opportunities
- National Institute of Health Undergraduate Scholarship Program – competitive scholarships to exceptional students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are committed to biomedical, behavioral, and social science research careers at the NIH
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory – opportunities for undergraduate research in a variety of majors
- Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) at the Medical College of Wisconsin – provides the opportunity for students to learn first-hand the potential of the biomedical sciences as an interesting and fulfilling career
Additional Career Resources
Resources on Companies and Careers
Bureau of Labor Statistics – The U.S. Department of Labor site providing information on trends in careers, employment, compensation, and much more
CareerOneStop – Industry profiles, employment opportunities, and salary possibilities
Linked-In.com – a network of colleagues and industry experts for inside connections and information for your questions
Arts Entertainment Media
Disney College Program – a combined education and work experience at the Walt Disney World® Resort as a cast member
Entertainment Industry Jobs – listings of entertainment jobs and internships at studios, Networks, Production Companies, Record Companies, TV and Radio Stations, VFX, Animation, and Broadcasting
American Association of Museums – post your resume and receive email alerts to jobs available at museums across the U.S.
New York Foundation for the Arts – a premier resource for jobs and internships in the arts, culture, and museum industries nationwide
ShowBizJobs – a career center dedicated to matching professional candidates and media enterprises in all phases of media production
Media 411 – matching people TV jobs and internships across the nation
Organizations which Value Diversity
All Areas of Diversity
- Diversity Employers – Jobs with employers committed to diversity
- Diversity Jobs – search for jobs at diversity-friendly companies in your area
- Equal Opportunity Publications – a portfolio of seven national career magazines, a diversity website, online job board, and Career Expos for women, members of minority groups, and people with disabilities
- Ability Jobs – provides a system for people with physical disabilities in finding employment
- Diversity World – information on job seeking if you have a disability and career opportunities
- Job Accomodation Network – information on workplace accomodations and the Americans with Disabilities Act
For People of Color
- The Black Collegian Online – a career and job site for African American college students
- Diversity Working – the largest minority job search engine online
- Hispanic Network Magazine Job Center – job postings and application resources for hispanic job seekers
- Saludos Hispanos – joining bilingual professionals with companies looking for diversity in the workplace
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, & Transgender Friendly Employment
- ZIPPIA LGBTQ ally in the workplace resource
Women in the workforce
CIEE Teach Abroad – CIEE offers paid teaching positions for university graduates looking to share their language and culture while immersing themselves in new communities around the world.
GreatSchoolJobs.com – If you´re looking for a job in education, completing the short-form profile (5 minutes) puts your basic credentials along with your attached Word.doc/txt resume in front of more than 18,000 districts throughout the country.
K12JobSpot – Job seekers can search a broad database of employment opportunities thoroughly and efficiently, based on geography, school district, and type of position.
SchoolSpring.com – SchoolSpring.com scours the web for job postings from around the country and bring them together in one easy search
Southern Teachers Agency (STA) – STA helps nearly 600 private and independent schools in the Mid-Atlantic and Southern states hire teachers. These schools offer small classes, supportive and collegial faculty cultures.
Teachers-Teachers.com – Teachers-Teachers is a free service designed to help educators find new and exciting teaching jobs, administrative jobs and other related service positions.
Environment and Agriculture
BackDoorJobs.com – short-term job adventures in the US and across the world
Cool Climate Jobs – climate change, renewable energy, and green collar jobs in the US and around the world
Environment Career Organization – linking high quality candidates with green jobs to make a better world
Green Dream Jobs – internship and career opportunities at any skill level around the world
The Great Lakes Stewardship Network – conservation related job board.
North American Association for Environmental Education – internship and job links for people interested in teaching the world about the environment
U.S. Department of Energy – clean energy jobs in the public, private, and non-profit sectors
Foreign Service Officer at the U.S. Department of State – Requirements and openings
GovernmentJobs – job opportunities in the public sector
Partnership for Public Service – non-profit, nonpartisan organization providing information on internship and job opportunities in the federal government
United Nations – Information on the on-line recruiting system for positions in the United Nations
USA.gov – the federal site for federal, state, and local government jobs
USAJobs – Federal government opportunities for employment across the world
The White House Internship Program – The White House Internship Program provides a unique opportunity to gain valuable professional experience and build leadership skills.
iHire Human Resources – opportunities in Human Resources
Society for Human Resource Management – information on the field of Human Resources and job postings
4International Careers & Jobs – leading international employment directory for overseas jobs
graduate-jobs.com – a leading independent graduate job board in the United Kingdom.
Jobs Abroad – Job opportunities around the world
iHipo International Careers – International jobs and internship opportunities
InterExchange – International exchange programs, internships, summer jobs, and all forms of global work
Resources for International Employment
Anywork Anywhere – Information on Visa’s, permits, and restrictions for working abroad
EscapeArtist.com – Supporting materials and job searches to maximize your chance of obtaining a position overseas
Hostels.com – Hostels and other cheap places to stay worldwide
U.S. Department of State – Authoritative information on everything you need to travel or work abroad
Marketing / Advertising / Publishing
Book Jobs – jobs and internships in publishing
AdvertisingJobsNow.com – search for jobs in the advertising fields as well as get advice on the ins and outs of this particular fields job market
Higher Education and Ministry – comprehensive information on ministerial careers, education, financial aid, and networking
Work Ministry – a faith-based social network of job seekers and job opportunities
Jesuit Volunteer Corp – offers men and women an opportunity to work full time to a mission of serving the poor directly, working for structural change in the United States, and accompanying people in developing countries.
Mercy Corps – Their mission is to alleviate suffering, poverty, and oppression by helping people build secure, productive, and just communities.
Lutheran Volunteer Corps – Lutheran Volunteer Corps (LVC) unites full-time stipended Volunteers with financial supporters, non-profit organizations and ministries to work for peace with justice across the nation. In addition to working for justice, LVC Volunteers live together in intentional household communities of 4-7 people to encourage simple, sustainable living.
Nonprofit and Social Services
Federation of State Public Interest Research Groups (PIRG) – positions available across the country for people interested in social change to work in the non-profit sector
Idealist Guides to Nonprofit Careers – information and listings for career opportunities in the
Nonprofic Career Network – opportunities in the nonprofit sector and a directory or nonprofit organizations helping the world
SocialService.com – job opportunities in all areas of the social service industry
Careers In Psychology – Explore and search through the database for careers in Psychology
Retail and Fashion
National Retail Federation – Retail Careers Center provides information on job openings as well as information on improving your skills in all aspects of retailing
Science, Medicine, and Health Care
American Cancer Society – bring your talent and skills to communities across the country and join in the fight against cancer
MedZilla – internship and job opportunities in biotechnology, pharmaceutical, healthcare, and science fields
Michigan Health Care Jobs – job board for health care professionals
Sports and Recreation
The Market: Careers in College Athletics – an NCAA site providing a wide range of opportunities in every aspect of college athletics
TeamWork Online – an online job board providing information on opening with teams in all sporting fields
CoolWorks.com – positions in recreational areas for year-round or seasonal work
YMCA of the Rockies – seasonal or year-round volunteer and employment opportunities in the Rockies and Internationally