Administrative Divisions

Retirement Program - TIAA/CREF Retirement Annunity


Full-time faculty and salaried administrative employees.


All full time faculty and administrative employees become eligible for and are required to participate in the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association /College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA/CREF) retirement program the first day of the month following two years of employment. Faculty or administrative employees who, upon hire, have already satisfied the two year wait period at another 403(b) eligible institution, will be immediately eligible for participation in the College’s retirement program. Contributions under this retirement plan will be made on a monthly basis and deposited to the employee’s TIAA/CREF Retirement Annuity in accordance with the following schedule:

Contributions as a Percent of Regular Salary/Wages

Full-time Faculty and Administrators By the Participant By the College
     On salary up to $15,700 6.0% 6.3%
     On salary above $15,700 6.0% 12.0%
* Eligible Part-time Faculty and Administrators 1.0% 6.0%
* refer to Summary Plan Document for details    

Please refer to the pdf  Summary Plan Document for complete plan details.


After completing two years of employment, an employee is contacted by the Human Resources Office to enroll in the retirement program. (Eligibility start date is the first of a month following two years of employment.) The employee is required to complete the forms necessary for enrollment, including the naming of a beneficiary and allocation of premiums to TIAA (fixed annuity) or CREF (variable annuity).

Further information is available through the Human Resources Office or by contacting TIAA/CREF directly using the 800 phone number on your TIAA/CREF statement.

TIAA/CREF Contact Information:

4660 S. Hagadoen Road Suite 130
East Lansing, Michigan 48823

Customer Services: 866-842-2825

Web Page:

TIAA-CREF Automated Telephone Service - 1 800 842-2252

  • Use touch-tone entry to change your allocation or transfer funds, get accumulation balances and last premium credited, and/or hear prerecorded information on CREF account performance and TIAA interest and dividend rates.
  • Available 24 hours a day.

Speak with an individual consultant about your TIAA-CREF retirement plan or tax-deferred annuity.

Advisor Services - 1 888 842-0318


Adinistrative Council reviewed 10/2011

Travel Reimbursement


All faculty and staff.


The College will reimburse an employee for necessary travel expenses incurred while on approved College-related business including overnight lodging, meals and local transportation costs. An employee shall use good judgement and discretion when incurring such expenses.

Employees who use their personal automobiles on approved College-related business will be reimbursed on a cents-per-mile basis as designated by the Business Affairs office for travel expenses incurred or the current market price for coach air transportation for such trip, where applicable, whichever is less.

With the approval of the employee's supervisor, an advance for travel can be arranged through the Accounting office.


To be reimbursed for expenses, the employee must obtain and complete an "Expense Report" form (available from your department supervisor or from Campus Services), have it signed by the employee's supervisor and submit it, together with the proper receipts, to the Accounting office.

A travel advance is obtained by requesting funds, on a "Direct Payment Voucher," from the Accounting office. After the trip, and within thirty (30) days, receipts must be submitted to the Accounting office with an "Expense Report" form. The employee must refund any extra money advanced or will subsequently receive reimbursement for additional expenses over the amount of the advance.

Fines incurred for traffic or parking violations are the responsibility of the employee.

The College reserves the right to determine the amount of reimbursement where expense items are extravagant or questionable in nature.

Cabinet reviewed 7/97

Tobacco Products


All employees, students, contractors, and visitors

Statement of Policy

In accordance with the Calhoun County Clean Indoor Air Regulation, Sections 1005, 1006 and 1007, Albion College is smoke free effective January 1, 2008.

Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas within this worksite without exception. This includes common work areas, auditoriums, classrooms, conference and meeting rooms, private offices, elevators, hallways, medical facilities, cafeterias, employee lounges, stairs, restrooms, employer owned or leased vehicles and equipment, and all other enclosed facilities.  Regarding non-living spaces of residential units, smoking is prohibited in offices, lobbies, hallways and other common areas.  Student rooms are not covered under this policy but are governed under other policies which can be found in the Student Handbook.

Smoking is also prohibited a minimum of 25 feet from any entrance, window, or ventilation system serving any enclosed area where smoking is prohibited. Smoking is prohibited so that persons entering or leaving a building or facility shall not be subjected to breathing tobacco smoke.

Enforcement of this Policy

All members of the campus community share in the responsibility for adhering to and abiding with this policy.


Any person observing a violation of this policy is asked to first bring it to the attention of the offending party and seek voluntary cooperation. If the offender is noncompliant, the complainant will notify Campus Safety or another college official regarding the violation. If the complainant is uncomfortable addressing the offender, the complainant will directly notify Campus Safety or another college official regarding the violation. Campus Safety or the college official receiving a complaint will investigate and take action to resolve the issue as soon as possible. If all internal steps fail to result in compliance, the complainant may contact the Health Education Division of the Calhoun County Public Health Department at (269) 969-6393 for assistance.


Violations of the Calhoun County Indoor Air Regulation will be subject to disciplinary action(s) in the same manner as violations of other College policies. Persons violating this regulation and investigated by the Calhoun County Public Health Department will be subject to fines as outlined in the regulation.

Assistance to Smokers

Employees who smoke and would like to take this opportunity to quit may contact Human Resources for referral to smoking cessation programs offered by the college.  Students may contact Student Health Services for similar services.

Additional resources are available from the Calhoun County Public Health Department, Health Education Division at (269) 969-6393  for information on smoking cessation services.

Policy Adopted November 26, 2007. PAC approved

Telephone Calls


All faculty and staff.


When necessary, personal calls may be made from your office telephone, however, personal calls are discouraged during working hours.

Personal telephone calls are billed once a month and are due to be paid within ten days from billing date.

Personal telephone bills due over 60 days will be turned over to the department supervisor for collection.

Personal telephone bills due over 90 days will be deducted from the employee's payroll check. In addition, the privilege of the use of the employee's Personal Identification Number (PIN) may be removed.


To make a personal long distance call on your office telephone, use your Personal Identification Number (PIN) which is supplied by the Accounting Office at the time of employment.

By using a "0" as the last digit of your PIN (instead of a "1" as for official College business), your personal calls will be billed to you on a monthly basis. The bill should be paid within ten days after receipt at the Cashier's Office located on the first floor of the Ferguson Hall.

Revised 10/2008 - Cabinet approved

More Articles ...