News Archive

February 2011


Gladys Embry -  Dining & Hospitality Services is excited to announce Gladys Embry as our Employee of the Month for February 2011.  Gladys has quite an extensive history within our department.  Hired as a full-time employee in February 1966, she provided her superior skills as a salad room prep cook and later as a first cook.  While she left to work within the housekeeping department for a period, Gladys came back to her roots and retired from her full-time position within Dining & Hospitality Services in June 1997.  Being the busy-body that she is, though, retirement couldn't keep her away from her dedication to serve the students and she returned to our department as a part-time employee in 2005.  Ever since, Gladys has demonstrated her skills and flexibility in several areas throughout our operation.  She's the first person to pitch-in during a crisis and is always willing to help out the team.  While many of the traits that make Gladys an invaluable employee aren't necessarily seen by the guests whom she serves, they definitely know her best for her smiling face, helping hand, and infectious laugh.




Mark Frever has been nominated as the Facilities Operations Employee of the Month.  Mark, along with all the workers in Grounds and many from elsewhere in the department who helped out is to be congratulated for an excellent job in snow and ice removal during recent storms.  Many long hours of hard work, frequently all through the night, were necessary to keep the College open when most everyone around us was closed.  Thank you to Mark and the many other for their commitment and dedication to providing a safe environment for us all. 






Craig Stangland - We are pleased to announce Craig Stangland as the Administrative Employee of the Month for February 2011.  Craig is the Sales and Events Manager for Dining & Hospitality Services and has responsibilities in catering, dining, summer conferences, and lodging.  This February, Craig shined on multiple occasions.  He demonstrated excellent leadership and work ethic during the campus flu outbreak, and provided a great deal of assistance to three new student business ventures.  Additionally, he was acknowledged for his superior customer service to Accreditation Team members and the Albion College Board of Trustees.  Thank you Craig for all you do! 






Register for Student Employment

What are the steps needed to be hired as a student employee?

In order for a student to be eligible for employment, he or she must have been offered and accepted a position. Once you've accepted a job offer, the student must register with the student employment office. This entails completion of required paperwork and for students seeking general employment opportunities, submission of the Student Employment General Help online application.

If a student has worked on campus during the academic year - registration for employment is not needed each year.

Can I register for student employment online?

No. To complete the student employment registration, you must be on-campus, as one component of this process must be done in person with a member of the Student Employment/Human Resources staff. The Human Resources office is located at 1003 E. Cass Street in the same building as Campus Safety and Student Health Services (enter through Campus Safety).

You can print off the required paperwork and complete the employee portion of those forms. Please note, three of those forms are tax withholding forms. If you are unsure of how many exemptions to claim, please consult with your parents or a tax advisor because we will not be able to tell you. What we will tell you is if you leave it blank, we will follow IRS guidance and withhold the greatest amount of tax (single with no exemptions).

What do I need to have with me when I register in person?

When you register in person at the Human Resources Office you should bring your completed W-4 forms. This includes a Federal W-4, a State of Michigan W-4 and a City of Albion W-4. You may wish to speak with whoever does your taxes in order to best determine how much you would expect to owe and how much you would therefore want to have withheld from your paychecks. Please use your permanent address when completing all tax forms.

You will also need to bring your ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENT(S) for the completion of the I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification form. The U.S. government has strict requirements about the acceptability of documents for establishing work eligibility that vary with each person's circumstance. For U.S. citizens, the most common documentation provided is either a U.S. passport or the combination of a driver's license and a social security card. These must be the original document or a certified copy, photocopies are not acceptable. Please use your permanent address when completing your I-9 form.

What do I do after I am registered?

You must first get a job before you can register for employment. After you get registered, please show your supervisor your Student Employment Registration Card that is given to you by a HR Staff Member.  This will provide your supervisor with the information needed to get you added to the Online Time Clock System.

The College has over 700 students on its payroll during the academic year. Some offices/department hire only 1 or 2 students while others hire over 30. You are encouraged to view the job posting list often but also do not hesitate to follow your interests and ask offices/department if they are hiring. Below is a list of some of the many possible jobs held by student employees:

Desk Worker Dow Center Worker Games Management
General Dining
Grounds Assistant
Lab Assistant
Library Aide Life Guard Office Assistant
Teaching Assistant Theatre Assistant Tour Guide
Tutor Wait Staff Writing Consultant

Hiring a Student Employee Checklist

(You must follow this hiring procedure every Academic Year for each student to be hired)

After you have found the student you would like to hire you must complete the following steps:

_____ Determine if the student has completed the following forms with the Student Employment Office (SEO):
  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
  • W-4 State Federal & City Withholding Tax
_____ Are you able to enter the student into the online timeclock?  If so, the student has completed the necessary paperwork.
_____ If the student has not completed these forms, direct them to SEO-Human Resource Office located in the Campus Safety Building to do so.
_____ Inform the student that until the I-9 and Tax forms are completed that they will not be put on the work schedule or allowed to work.
_____ Note: Students who have previously been employed on campus do not need to complete new I-9’s and tax forms each year.

Do not put the student to work until the forms are completed.

_____ Determine with the student their availability to work in your department
_____ Are they already employed as an Albion College student employee in another department?
_____ If so, how many available hours can they work in order to stay within the allowed 20 hours per week?
_____ AFTER student has all necessary paperwork submitted to SEO, provide the student with a work schedule. Schedules can be weekly, monthly or for the full semester.
_____ Inform the student whether or not their position will require them to use the Online Time Clock System to log their work hours. In most instances students should be paid an hourly wage unless the nature of the position make it impossible to determine an hourly rate such as research positions, Resident Assistants, etc.
_____ If using the online time clock, provide basic navigation and train for the TimeClock site so  they can begin to familiarize themselves with how the time clock works. Please also make the student aware of the frequency in which they will be paid.
_____ If not using the online time clock, inform the students how their work time is to be recorded and the frequency that they will be paid. If you are not using the timeclock, you must make arrangements with the Student Payroll Supervisor PRIOR to hiring the student.

More Articles ...