News Archive

Contact Us

The Campus Programs Offices are located on the third floor of the Albion College Kellogg Center.

Please use the form below to submit your comments or questions.

Invalid Input
Invalid Input
Invalid Input

Movie Viewing

Movie Guidelines

Public viewing of movies is strictly regulated by the Motion Picture Association of America. DVDs and video tapes may not be used as an event or entertainment unless the public performance rights (copyright) has been purchased or secured. DVDs and video tapes that people purchase or rent are intended for home viewing use only. These movies are permitted to be viewed within the confines of a student's room to a private audience. However, No public announcement or advertising may occur as it turns the private audience into a public one (even if the viewing still occurs in a private residence room) thus making the movie subject to public performance guidelines.

With the exception of a faculty member showing a film to an officially registered class at the College (see face-to-face exemption below), all other public showings on campus are prohibited unless a public performance right is secured. This is true regardless of the number of people who attend and/or whether or not admission is free. These guidelines apply, but are not limited to, class rooms (while not in use for officially registered classes); lecture halls; residence hall lounges; fraternity house lounges; sorority lodges; cafeterias; library screening rooms; and/or meeting rooms in the Kellogg Center.

Therefore anytime a group shows a movie in any context, the group must purchase the public viewing rights (copyright) for that particular showing. Copyright purchase for film currently runs between $300-$600 per showing for popular titles from major movie distributors. Independent films could cost less but must be negotiated with the holder of the copyright for those particular films. Swank Motion Pictures is a film distributing company that works with college environments and handles most commercial grade film titles. For pricing and availability you may contact them at 1-800-876-5577.

Purchasing public viewing rights does not depend on variables such as audience size or charging of admission. Regardless if it is 3 people versus 300 people, size is not considered in determining if public viewing rights need to be purchased. (Size may, however, influence the amount of the public performance fee). Likewise you still have to purchase the copyrights even if you are offering the movie/film to the audience for free. Because we are a non-profit educational institution we do qualify for the face-to-face teaching exemptions. However, that does not mean that because we are a not profit educational institution that all films/movies shown at Albion College are exempt. Only those with an instructor present with students enrolled in his/her class qualify for the face-to-face exemption. This principle holds true no matter how much educational or intellectual value is contained the in film.

What is a Public Performance?*

Suppose you invite a few friends over to watch a movie or a TV show that's no longer available on TV. You buy or rent a DVD or Blue Ray disc from the corner store or a digital video file from an online store and show the film or TV episode in your home that night. Have you violated copyright law by illegally "publicly performing" the movie or show? Of course not.

But suppose you took the same movie or TV episode and showed it to patrons at a club or bar that you happen to manage. In that case, you have infringed the copyright in the video work. Simply put, movies or TV shows obtained through a brick-and-mortar or online store are licensed for your private use; they are not licensed for exhibition to the public.

Why is the Creative Community Concerned About Such Performances?*

The concept of "public performance" is central to copyright. If filmmakers, authors, playwrights, musicians and game designers do not retain ownership of their works, then there is little incentive for them to continue creating high-quality works in the future and there is little incentive for others to finance the creation of those works.

The Law*

The Federal Copyright Act (Title 17 of the U.S. Code) governs how copyrighted materials, such as movies, may be used. Neither the rental nor the purchase of a copy of a copyrighted work carries with it the right to publicly exhibit the work. No additional license is required to privately view a movie or other copyrighted work with a few friends and family or in certain narrowly defined face-to-face teaching activities.

However, bars, restaurants, private clubs, prisons, lodges, factories, summer camps, public libraries, daycare facilities, parks and recreation departments, churches and non-classroom use at schools and universities are all examples of situations where a public performance license must be obtained. This legal requirement applies regardless of whether an admission fee is charged, whether the institution or organization is commercial or non-profit, or whether a federal or state agency is involved.

Legal Sanctions*

"Willful" infringement of these rules concerning public performances for commercial or financial gain is a federal crime carrying a maximum sentence of up to five years in jail and/or a $250,000 fine. Even inadvertent infringement is subject to substantial civil damages.

It's Easy to Obtain a Public Performance License*

Obtaining a public performance license is easy and usually requires no more than a phone call. Fees are determined by such factors as the number of times a particular movie is going to be shown, how large the audience will be and so forth. While fees vary, they are generally inexpensive for smaller audiences. Most licensing fees are based on a particular performance or set of performances for specified films. The major firms that handle these licenses include:

Criterion Pictures
(800) 890-9494

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation
(800) 462-8855

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.
(800) 876-5577

Face-to-face Exemption

Many of you may know that there is an exception to the public performance fees for college and universities. That exception is only in the case of face-to-face classroom instruction by a faculty member. The faculty member may show the film/movie outside the normal class period (at night for example), however, it is only for those students who are registered for the class. The movie must also be shown in spaces that are designated for instruction; therefore library screening rooms, residence hall or student union lounges, cafeterias do not qualify. A faculty member cannot show it for his/her class and then open it up to the rest of the campus. In order to invite others, the public viewing rights must be purchased. Acceptable attendance for films in which the copyright is not purchased only include students registered for the class, the instructor and guest lecturer(s).

Copyright Act**

Section 110 of the 1984 Copyright Act does provide a specific exemption to the licensing of what is clearly a public performance and what is face-to-face teaching. To qualify for the exemption, the showing must occur in a face-to-face teaching situation at a non-profit educational institution and meet all of the following six criteria:

Performances and displays of audiovisual works must be made from legitimate sources, such as pre-recorded videocassettes. Copies made from illegitimate sources or broadcasts are not allowed.

Performances and displays must be part of a systematic course of instruction and not for entertainment, recreation, or cultural value. The instructor should be able to show how the use of the motion picture contributes to the overall course study and syllabus. The course does not have to be a credit course, but must be one recognized by the institution and for which students must register.

The instructors or pupils must give performances and displays from the same location in which it is being screened; no broadcasting from outside sources (such as closed-circuit television) is allowed.

Performances and displays must be given in classrooms and other places devoted to instruction; library screening rooms, residence hall & student union lounges, rathskellers, and cafeterias do not qualify.

Performances and displays must be a part of the teaching activities at a non-profit teaching institution. Businesses that conduct educational seminars and certain technical schools do not qualify.

Attendance is limited to the instructors, pupils, and guest lecturers. Only students registered for the class may attend the screening. No fee specific to the screening may be charged.

*Motion Picture Association of America

**Swank Motion Pictures

Events Calendar

Calendar Overview:

The Albion Event Calendar can be found with other departmental/program calndears on teh Albion College web site.  This is a valuable resource that allows faculty, staff, students, and external audiences to see events and other happenings on campus.  Each listing contains the date, time, location and additional support information for each event/activity.  The Campus Event Calendar is managed by the Assistant Director of the Kellogg Center.

The Campus Event Calendar is only as good as the willingness of the College community to use it and submit items.  Any event in which complete information is provided (and conforms to all other polices and regulations of the college) will be posted to the Event Calendar.  If the event you want to book is scheduled at the same time another major event is occurring, you will be contacted and an attempt will be made to find a suitable date, time and place for your program.  The Assistant Director and or Assistant Dean, will work to resolve any conflicts which arise.  Please keep in mind, Albion College's policty towards programming is non-exclusive and mulitple programs occurring at the same time do frequently happen.  The Kellogg Center staff will attempt to do it's best to identify those programs that might be in conflict and/or might compete for the same audience.

It is important to note that not all room reservations are automatically added to the event calendar.  Many times reservations for spaces are made before specific program details are available or they are events that are not of interest to the general campus or community public.  Therefore to ensure that your event does get listed on the calender it is best to submit your listing directly to the calendar itself.

Sumitting an Item to Appear on the Calendar:

Current faculty, staff and students may submit entries into the campus calendar.  Your submission will be sent to the Campus Scheduler for approval.  Once approved your event will be displayed for all to see on the general calendar.

Events to be posted on the calendar should be indended for the larger campus or campus and community audiences.  Announcements for club/organization meetings and other postings targeting a select audience should use other methods to inform their constituents.  Please keep in mind that these postings can be seen by external audiences.  If your event is limited to campus audiences, please indicate that in your event description.

To submit an entry, open the Event Calendar using the link below.  Once the calendar is open, scroll to the bottom of the page.  Click the submit button.  You will be prompted to use your Albion College username and password to log into the site.  Fill out all of the event details in the boxes provided.  Make sure to click the "Submit Event" button when complete to send your submission to the campus scheduler for approval.

Events Calendar


Sign up here for sorority recruitment!

There are many reasons to join a fraternity or sorority at Albion College including brotherhood/sisterhood, leadership, philanthropy and fun!


Greek membership brings lasting friendships that continue throughout your life. The chapter becomes a "home away from home" for many men and women. Sorority women and fraternity men share friendships that are a special bond unlike any other. Brothers and sisters share their joys and disappointments, learn and grow together, and appreciate the loyalty of friends, and brothers and sisters that they know will be there for a lifetime.


Membership in a Greek organization is one of the best ways you can discover and refine your leadership skills. Within each chapter, members may assume a variety of leadership roles ranging from chairing committees to holding offices. Chapters provide leadership opportunities for members who will become respected professionals and community leaders after graduation.


Philanthropy is the giving of time, service and money, and is an important part of every Greek chapter. During the year, fraternity men and sorority women strive to strengthen their relationship with the community by increasing individual member involvement in worthwhile community and campus events. Each chapter sponsors at least one philanthropic fundraiser during the academic year. These projects are a wonderful opportunity to have a good time with your brothers and sisters as well as make a difference in the community.


One of the most exciting aspects of Greek life is the social experience it offers. Formals, theme parties, homecoming events, intramural sports, Anchor Splash, Derby Days, and of course Greek Week are examples of the social opportunities sorority women and fraternity men share. These activities are not only fun for the members; they bond fraternity and sorority members together as a family and build unity within the entire Greek community. These shared experiences will make your collegiate years, and those to follow, a most rewarding experience.

Recruitment Eligibility

If you are a first-year student at Albion College, you can not join a fraternity or sorority until the second semester of your first year. Upper-class and transfer students can join a fraternity or sorority during their first semester at Albion. Each fraternity and sorority chapter hold recruitment events in an effort to get to know students who are interested in joining the Greek community, regardless of class standing.

Before any student, first-year, upper-class, or transfer, accepts an invitation to join a fraternity or sorority on Albion College's campus, they must fill out a pdf Potential New Member Grade Release Card . Before filling out the form, please note the MINIMUM requirements for joining any fraternity or sorority at Albion College is that you have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average or higher and you are free of any social probation with Albion College.

If you have any questions about recruitment please feel free to contact the individual chapters or email for more information.

Recruitment Forms

pdf Fraternity Bid Acceptance and Board Transfer Form

pdf Panhellenic COB Acceptance Binding Agreement

pdf Panhellenic Formal Recruitment PNM Excuse Form

pdf Panhellenic Violation Report Form

Recruitment Reports

Below are the two reports put out by the Campus Programs and Organizations Office listing Greek membership statistics. These reports are updated twice a year once after fall and once after spring recruitment:




More Articles ...