Senior Speaker Selection
Each year one of the top academic achievers of the graduating class is selected to share their thoughts and wisdom during the welcome at the Commencement Ceremony. It is a unique opportunity and honor to be selected to participate in this manner and to represent your peers.
Apply to be the Senior Speaker
This year's review process will begin shortly and will be conducted in the manner outlined below.
- The selected speaker must be graduating with honors (minimum of cum laude designation), with a Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- The selected speaker must be in good social standing with the college and not on social probation.
- Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16, 2018. Once you turn in your application, you will receive an email from the senior speaker project coordinator, giving you an audition time. Simply reply to the email to confirm your audition. Auditions will be held on Wednesday, April 4, 2018. Candidates will give their entire audition speech to the selection committee.
- There is no set topic or focus for the remarks; however, candidates should approach their speech in a manner that conveys an appreciation of the event, which is Commencement at Albion College. Presentations will be judged on appropriate preparation, speech construction, topic and relevance of remarks for the commencement occasion and presentation/delivery. The speech is limited to 5 minutes in length.
- All candidates will be notified of the selected speaker.
- The selected speech will receive feedback from the selection committee regarding content and presentation. Areas of attention will be suggested by the selection committee and the speaker is asked to consider all comments. A representative from the selection committee who is a member of the communication arts faculty will be available for consultation prior to commencement.
- Questions regarding this process should be directed to Elaina Braunschweig or Pam Schuler in the Office of Campus Programs and Organizations at extension 0433 or at
Questions regarding this process should be directed to the Office of Campus Programs and Organizations at ext. 0433 or at .
Past Student Speakers
- Candance J. Cullens, '16
- Bailey A. Judson, '15
- Shonté Daniels, '14
- Michael Albani, '13
- Aaron Croad, '12
- Caryn A. Miller, '11
- Erika A. Nichols, '10
- Hannah L. Scheiwe, '09
- Lindsay A. Davis, '08
- Hanna E. Robey, '07
- Amanda K. Cross, '06
- William R. Green, '05
- Kelsey L. Hulse, '04
- Alex T. Carroll, '03