Interdisciplinary Major in Social Studies with Elementary Certification
Requirements for Major
- 14 units including: Anthropology and Sociology 248, 250; Economics and Management 101, 102; Geological Sciences 111; History 102, 111, 131, 132, 217, two 300-level history electives (at least one unit of elective must be from African, Asian or Latin American history); and Political Science 101, 235.
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade.
- Completion of all other requirements for teacher certification.
Requirements for Elementary Certification
Students seeking elementary certification with a major in social studies are required to consult with the Education Department and meet admission requirements to the Education Program. Certification in elementary education requires 32.5 units of course work and necessitates a ninth semester for student teaching.
- Complete a planned program including: English 203, 348; IDY 262; Mathematics 104; Psychology 251; and Physical Education 319. (English 101 and Psychology 101 are prerequisites.)
- Complete the Education Program professional sequence that includes six units of course work and four units for the student teaching semester: Education 201, 202, 247, 259, 371, 372, 396, 421 and 431.
- All courses must be taken for a numerical grade, except those offered only on a credit/no credit basis.