International Student Admission Requirements
International Student Admission and Enrollment
What it takes to be a Briton starts here.
- Albion College reviews application on a holistic basis – this means that we look at academic performance over time, in classwork and exams, on standardized tests, and with consideration of the essay, letters of recommendation, and any other material that are sent.
- Academic Achievement:
- Above-average grades, marks, or exam results in a college-preparatory curriculum for all upper secondary and post-secondary studies. We consider academic performance and strengths throughout your secondary education.
- SAT, ACT, TOEFL, and/or IELTS results that demonstrate preparation for the Albion classroom
- English Proficiency: Required for all students – see English Proficiency Requirements.
- Essays and Letters of Recommendation should demonstrate your preparation for the college classroom and the qualities that you bring to the Albion College community.
- International admission requirements are based on the requirements to enter university in your home country, with consideration for special circumstances and the holistic approach to US university admissions.
Priority Dates for Scholarship Consideration:
- October 1 for Spring term (January)
- March 1 for Fall term (August)
- Students who apply Early Action and submit complete applications by December 1 will receive a decision in 2-4 weeks.
Applying to Albion:
Complete the application and send the required documents
Early Admission or Rolling Admission?
- Early Action – Fall term applications with all requested supporting documents received by December 1 should receive a decision in early January.
- Rolling Admission – Applications are reviewed as they become complete, with a priority date of March 1 for fall entry. Review typically takes 2-4 weeks.
There are two applications to choose from; there is no preference or effect on the decision. We suggest you read the instructions carefully and gather needed information before beginning the form.
Admission Requirements detail which documents are required and how they should be sent. Please read it carefully and email if you have any questions.
Read about the Academic Records that Albion requires.
An application is not complete until all requirements have been met, including any requests for additional material. You may be required to send additional documents later.
- Note that some requirements will be completed online through your Albion Student Portal.
Where should I send documents?
Documents may be mailed to following the guidelines above, uploaded to the Common Application through your school counselor, or mailed to us at:
Office of Admissions
611 East Porter Street
Albion, MI 49224 USA
You should obtain official documents and certified translations if the original is not in English, and send them to Albion College. We acknowledge that most schools and universities will not send documents overseas, and will accept documents sent following the guidelines above.
What happens after I apply?
Once all required documents are received, we will review your application and determine if it meets requirements for admission. Review can take 2-4 weeks once all requested materials are received.
Check your application status and email often!
One of the following outcomes is possible:
- Request for additional documents or information
- Hold the record for additional documents or information
- Admission with financial reward
Check your application status here!
What happens after admission?
If you are admitted, you will receive an email notifying you of the change in your status, you will receive an admission letter and financial award letter by courier, and you will probably hear from our staff and students. Then the following will be happen:
- Research and apply to an Albion Center and Institute . A video interview may be part of this process.
- Download and begin completing the Albion College Statement of Financial Support including proof of funding
- Ask us questions – learn about Albion, the daily life of students, and how they achieve their goals. Ask students how they funded their education.
You may be invited to:
- Apply for the Global Scholar Program
- Submit an audition or portfolio for a fine arts scholarship
What happens after I decide to enroll?
Welcome to the community! Once you confirm your enrollment with the non-refundable Enrollment Deposit in your Albion Student Portal, there are several steps that must be completed no less than 2 months before you arrive.
- Complete the steps in your Albion Student Portal to confirm your plans, pay your enrollment deposit, and become a Briton.
- Send a complete and accurate Albion College Statement of Financial Support with all of the required bank documents, sponsor letters, and any scholarship letters from external sources.
- Complete all of the forms in your Albion Student Portal:
- Verification Form for I-20
- Academic Assessments that determine the correct courses you will take (first-year students only)
- Academic Questionnaire and First Year Seminar Selection (first-year students only)
- Student Housing Request Form
- Student Health Record
- (Optional) Student Parking Permit Registration
- Request your official, final transcripts from your previous institution. These will be required upon arrival to confirm your eligibility to enroll.
- Students who have attended post-secondary institutions outside of the US must request an official credential evaluation report from a qualifying evaluation agency in order to transfer the courses to Albion College.
Check your Albion email account at least 3 times a week – Housing, Student Life, the Registrar, and the Center for International Education will send important messages there.
The Visa Process
In order to qualify for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, you must qualify for admission and provide evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses. Once Albion has issued an I-20 on your behalf, you can schedule and complete the visa interview process. Please allow 3 months for this process; if we have not received qualifying financial documents 2 months before arrival we reserve the right to cancel your admission.