H1N1 Symptoms and Care
Do I have the flu?
Symptoms of the flu include:
- Sudden onset of fever >101 F
Plus two or more of these symptoms:
- Chills, muscle aches, weakness
- Fatigue, sore throat, cough
How do I take care of myself or someone else if we have flu symptoms?
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink lots of fluids including juice and water
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Eat lightly
- chicken soup, toast, crackers, oatmeal applesauce, anything tolerated without nausea
- Take over the counter medication to relieve symptoms.
- Tylenol (acetaminophen), Motrin (ibuprofen), to relieve fever, headache and body aches
- Cough Syrup or lozenges to decrease cough
- Nasal Decongestant
- Do not smoke
When should I seek medical attention?
You should see a doctor or other health care provider if:
- You have a fever that lasts more than 3-5 days
- You have difficulty breathing or are having chest pain
- You experience seizures, confusion, excessive sleepiness
- You have color changes of your skin, especially in your hands or around your mouth
- You have vomiting or diarrhea that continues over 24-48 hours.
For information on the novel flu strain H1N1 go to www.cdc.gov/swineflu.