Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major in Theatre
- A minimum of 10 units in theatre, including: 209, 211, 251, 280, 281, and either 225, 315 or 350 and four units of electives chosen from 210, 220, 225, 285, or any 300-level or higher course.
- A total of two cognate courses must be completed for a major in theatre: one course in English (English 261, 344, 349, 374, 375, 376) and one course in music or art (Art History 115 or 116 or Music 111).
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade.
- Theatre majors are required to participate in at least one of the major productions each semester. The nature of the participation will be agreed upon by the student and theatre faculty.
- Theatre majors must attend at least 75 percent of the departmental American College Theatre Festival responses and the departmental post-production meetings each year. Additionally, majors are required to participate in the departmental comprehensive examination.
- Theatre majors are expected to serve as an assistant stage manager for a production and to have a major creative role in a production such as directing, designing, acting in a major role, stage managing, or serving as technical director for a major production.
Requirements for Minor in Theatre
- Six units in theatre, including: 111 or 209; 211, 251, 280, 281 and one elective chosen from 210, 225, 285, or any 300-level or higher course, or four 1/4-unit practica (175, 176).
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a numerical grade.
- Theatre minors are expected to participate in at least one of the productions each semester.