The Moore Math Marathon Competition!
Friday, May 13, 2016
9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
The Moore Math Marathon Competition includes both individual and team events, including problems from Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and other interesting math topics.
There has long been a demand in both industry and government for people with training in mathematics and statistics. In recent years a strong demand has also developed for computer scientists. The mathematics major who takes courses in computer science or statistics will enter an extremely favorable job market. The computer scientist who has a strong mathematical background is very marketable. There is also a need for secondary school teachers who are certified to teach mathematics or computer science. A major in mathematics provides a good foundation for further study in mathematics or for teaching on the secondary school level. With a degree in mathematics or computer science, it is also possible to gain admission to graduate school. Our majors have earned graduate degrees in in other fields such as law, public policy, management, and operations research.
Links to information on careers:
Links to organizations with career information in the mathematical sciences:
- The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences has a jobs page.
- The American Mathematical Society, the Mathematical Association of America, and the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematicians maintain a joint page about careers.
- SIAM also maintains a list of professional opportunities.
- The Association for Computing Machinery has a Web page on computing careers and graduate school information.
- The Computing Research Association maintains the CRA Forsythe List, a complete listing of Ph.D.-granting Computer Science programs in North America.
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, has a page on careers in electrical and computing engineering.
- The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics maintains a classified listing of job openings and job applicants.
- Actuarial job searches by D. W. Simpson & Company.
- The Albion College Office of Career and Internship Center has a Web page with links to many employment services.
Links to general employment opportunities: