Reminders to F-1 students, as you graduate from Albion.
- Your I-20 program end date will be shortened to Albion's graduation date.
- F-1 students have a 60 day grace period after the graduation date.
- During the grace period, F-1 students may apply for OPT, request an I-20 for a new program, change status, or leave the US.
- F-1 students are not authorized to work after the program end date on the I-20, during the grace period. This includes on-campus, or with CPT.
Transferring your SEVIS record to a new school: If you will remain in the U.S. and will continue your studies after leaving Albion, F-1 students must follow transfer procedures to maintain immigration status. For immigration purposes, this is called a "SEVIS transfer" whether you will continue your undergraduate program at another school, or move to a graduate program after graduation.
Steps to SEVIS transfer your F-1 record:
- Gain admission to a SEVIS-authorized school.
- Check with the new school's international officer (DSO), and learn what is required to obtain a transfer-in I-20. In some cases, they require a form to be signed by your current school's DSO- at Albion, this is the CIE Director, Cristen Casey.
- Come to Albion's CIE office to request that your SEVIS record be transferred. Bring proof of admission to the new school, and the transfer-out request form. Forms are available in the CIE Office.
- On the transfer release date, your Albion record deactivates and all Albion College work authorizations end. The new school now has access to your immigraiton records. Note: If your Albion College I-20 program end date expires before the transfer release date, your Albion College work authorizations end on that program end date.
- Complete the new institution's requirements to obtain a new I-20.
If you are travelling internationally between the end of your last semester at Albion College and the first semester at your new school, you cannot re-enter the U.S. on your Albion College I-20. You must obtain a Transfer-Pending I-20 from the new school and re-enter using that document.