Traveling Within and Outside of the United States

Travel within the U.S.

Please make sure to carry your original passport and I-20 with you at all times.

Note: Make sure you know which route you are taking when you travel through the U.S. Many American students traveling east from Michigan drive through Canada. If this is your route, you must follow the “Travel outside the U.S.” guidelines below.

Travel outside the U.S.

All F-1 and J-1 students traveling to other countries (including Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean) will need to have their I-20 signed by a Designated Student Official (DSO). Please remember to plan ahead and set up an appointment to have your I-20 signed. In addition to a valid passport, visa, and I-20, you may also be required to get a visa of the country you plan on visiting.