Visa Application Information
Upon receiving your deposit and confirmation to enroll at Albion College, the College will mail to you an I-20 or DS-2019. (Again, the I-20 is sent to degree-seeking students to obtain an F-1 visa. The DS-2019 is sent to exchange students and native speakers to obtain a J-1 visa.)
When you receive the I-20/DS-2019:
- Check it for accuracy. (name, birth date, gender, etc.)
- Sign and date the form.
- Make an interview appointment with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. If you delay, there can be a lengthy wait in getting a visa.
- Check with the U.S. embassy/consulate for a list of documents required for your interview.
Here is a brief list of documents you should be prepared to show:
- Completed visa application
- Valid passport
- Your signed I-20 or DS-2019
- I-901 Receipt (SEVIS fee payment receipt)
- Financial documents (proof of finances)
- Any additional documents the embassy may request you to bring to your appointment
Preparation for the interview:
In addition to gathering the necessary documents and forms, we encourage you to prepare for your interview with the U.S. embassy/consulate. You may want to give some special thought to your:
- Foreign residence and ties to a community
- Intention to return to the place of foreign residence
- Ability to financially support yourself (and family, if included) while in the U.S.