Newly Admitted International Students FAQ

What do I need to take to my visa interview?
You should take your I-20 and acceptance letter that you received from Albion College, your passport, and your financial information.

How do I get my student number from Albion College?
Once you have paid your deposit, you are given an Albion College student identification number. You should receive it in the mail. You can also contact the CIE office to get your number.

When do I register for classes?
You will actually register for classes when you get here in August at SOAR.

How do I apply for housing and when will I find out who my roommate is?
You should fill out and turn in your housing application when signing up for SOAR. Residential Life will contact you toward the end of June with your housing assignment and your roommate information.

Do I have to attend international student orientation and SOAR?
Yes. It is mandatory for all new incoming international students to attend international student orientation and SOAR. You will need to arrive to campus in August about two weeks before the start of classes.

If I arrive early will someone from campus pick me up at the airport?
Albion College will only run shuttles to the airport (DTW) on the specific date sent to you by the CIE office.

Does Albion College run a shuttle to all airports?
No. We will only pick up students at Detroit Metro Airtport (DTW).

Can my family come with me to orientation?
Family members are welcome at SOAR, but during international orientation you will be with other students from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. every day, so it is not recommended that family join you. Family will have to find other transportation arrangements as we only run a shuttle for new incoming students and all of their luggage. They will also need to make housing arrangements with an area hotel or B&B in town.


What paperwork should I have with me when I am traveling to the United States?
You should have your passport, visa, and I-20 as well as your acceptance letter from Albion College. You will be given an I-94 card to fill out when you are on the plane coming to the United States. Do not lose this card.

If I miss a connecting flight or have trouble with immigration or Customs, what should I do?
Contact Albion College at 517/629-0392 during the day, or if it is after 5 p.m. call Albion College Campus Safety at 517/629-1234—a Campus Safety representative will then get in touch with our Designated School Official.