Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major in Athletic Training
Albion College's Athletic Training Education Program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). As graduates of a CAATE-accredited education program, our students can sit for the national Board of Certification examination.
Students must apply for admission to the athletic training major after enrolling at Albion College. All admission and retention criteria and required application forms may be obtained from the athletic training program director or by downloading them from the Athletic Training Education Program Web site at http://www.albion.edu/athletictraining. Transfer students must follow all of the same admission procedures as outlined in this section. Credit for course work from other institutions will be handled on an individual basis.
Completed application packets are due December 1 for admission beginning the subsequent semester. The athletic training program can be completed in a minimum of five semesters although this minimum is not encouraged. Students may participate on one athletic team while completing the athletic training major, but those students may be expected to complete some program requirements during the summer, in an extra fall semester or during their athletic season if appropriate progress is not attained.
- Students in the athletic training major must complete thirteen and three-quarter units of required and prerequisite course work in physical education, including the following: 194, 203, 211, 213, 233, 240, 243, 253, 293, 294, 303, 342, 353, 369, 379, 393, 394, 401, 453, 494.
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade.
- The following cognate is required: Psychology 101.
- Athletic training students must meet a 900-hour clinical requirement over the course of a minimum of five semesters. While students majoring in athletic training may play one sport, these individuals must be aware that attaining the 900-hour clinical requirement is made more difficult because of time spent playing their sport.
Requirements for Major in Exercise Science
- Eight units in physical education, including: 201, 211, 218, 303, 304, 306, 340 or 341, and 379.
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade, except those offered only on a credit/no credit basis.
- Completion of a proficiency requirement in first aid and CPR. This requirement can be met by taking Physical Education 203 or having American Red Cross certification in first aid and CPR.
Requirements for Minor in Health (Non-Teaching)
- Five and one-half units in physical education, including 201, 203, 211, 224, 310 and 360.
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a numerical grade.
Requirements for Minor in Health Education with Secondary Education Certification
- Five and one-half units in physical education, including: 203, 220, 240, 280, 301, 303, 320, 329, 390, plus 310, 360, and 395.
- Completion of all other requirements for teacher certification.