Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major in Theatre
- A minimum of 10 units in theatre, including: 209, 211, 251, 280, 281, and four 1/4-unit practica (175, 176), and four units of electives chosen from 208, 210, 260 or any 300 or higher level course.
- A total of two cognate courses must be completed for a major in theatre: one course in English (English 261, 349, 374, 375, 376) and one course in music or art (Art History 111 or 112 or Music 111).
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade.
- Theatre majors are required to participate in at least one of the major productions each semester. The nature of the participation will be agreed upon by the student and theatre faculty.
- Theatre majors must attend at least 75 percent of the departmental American College Theatre Festival responses and the departmental post-production meetings each year. Additionally, majors are required to participate in the departmental comprehensive examination.
- Theatre majors are expected to serve as an assistant stage manager for a production and to have a major creative role in a production such as directing, designing, acting in a major role, stage managing, or serving as technical director for a major production.
Requirements for Minor in Theatre
- Six units in theatre, including: 111 or 209; 211, 251, 280, 281 and one elective chosen from 208, 210, 260 or any 300 or higher level course, or four 1/4-unit practica (175, 176).
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a numerical grade.
- Theatre minors are expected to participate in at least one of the productions each semester.
Requirements for Minor in Dance
Six units in dance, as follows:
Technique: 2 units
Technique courses may be repeated one time for credit toward the dance minor.
Thea 134: Ballet Technique (1/2 unit)
Thea 135: Jazz Technique (1/2 unit)
Thea 186: Modern Technique (1/2 unit)
One-half additional unit to be completed by repeating one of the above courses or from the courses listed below
Thea 185: Ballroom and Folk Dance (taken twice for ¼ unit each time)
Thea 391 or 392: Dance Internship (1/2 or 1 unit)
Performance: 1 unit
Thea 208: Dance Repertory (1/2 unit. Audition required.) This course may be repeated one time for credit toward the dance minor.
Thea 332: Albion Repertory Dance Company (1/2 unit per semester. If selecting this course, you must enroll in first and second semesters of one academic year. Audition required.)
Theory: 3 units
Thea 260: Art of Dance (1 unit)
Two additional units must be taken with a combination of the following courses:
Thea 330: Dance Pedagogy (1/2 unit)
Thea 331: Dance Composition (1/2 unit)
Thea 360: Identity in Dance (1 unit)
Thea 411 or 412: Directed Study