Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major
- A minimum of eight units in economics and management, including 101, 102, 211, 230, 232 and at least one course at the 300-level. Unless approved by the department in advance, 230 and 232 must be taken at Albion College. The eight units used to fulfill major requirements must be taken for a numerical grade. It is recommended that all courses taken in the department by majors be taken for a numerical grade, except those offered only on a credit/no credit basis. Normally, students will enroll in 101 in either the first or second semester and 102 in the semester after 101. Economics and Management 211 is not open to first semester freshmen but is normally taken in either the second or third semester. Economics and Management 230 and 232 should be taken in the second year along with the statistics cognate requirement. It is recommended that students planning a major in economics enroll in Mathematics 125 or calculus during their first year. Seniors may be required to participate in a senior assessment exercise.
- The following cognate areas must be completed for a major:
1. Mathematics 125 or its equivalent as demonstrated by proficiency or calculus.
2. One statistics course from Mathematics 210, 309, or Economics and Management 235.
- In addition, it is recommended that individuals interested in graduate study in business or management take Mathematics 141 and 143. Individuals contemplating graduate study in economics should complete the mathematics/economics major.
- Because of the increased globalization of the U. S. economy, all majors are encouraged to participate in approved off-campus study programs. For a list of approved programs, consult with the Off-Campus Programs Office.
Information on Minors
- The minor in economics, the minor in management, and the minor in management--Gerstacker track are not open to economics and management majors.
- Students may not choose more than one minor in the Economics and Management Department.
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a numerical grade, except those offered only on a credit/no credit basis.
Requirements for Minor in Economics
- Five units in economics and management, including: 101 and either 230 or 232, plus three from 102, 230, 232, 235, 273, 322, 323, 326, 331, 344, 354, 364, 365, 366, 368, 375, 379, 380 and (with approval of the department chair) 389.
Requirements for Minor in Management
- Five units in economics and management, including: 101, 211 and either 259 or 359, plus two additional units from 212, 259, 305, 311, 312, 336, 341, 342, 344, 348, 350, 353, 355, 357, 359, 368, 376, 382, and (with approval of the department chair) 389.
Requirements for Minor in Management--Gerstacker Track
- Admission to the Carl A. Gerstacker Liberal Arts Institute for Professional Management.
- Six units in economics and management, including: 101H, 102H, 211, and 259H plus two from 212, 305, 311, 312, 336, 341, 342, 344, 348, 350, 353, 355, 357, 359, 368, 376, 382, and (with approval of the department chair) 389.
- One internship.