Academic Programs

International Academic Records

What academic records do I send?

Academic records should include official copies of all of your academic work from upper secondary school and any post-secondary work you have taken since completing secondary school.

International admission requirements are based on the requirements to enter university in your home country, with consideration for special circumstances and the holistic approach to US university admissions.

Official:Official documents are those that are issued by the appropriate authority and are clearly identifiable as coming from that source. They should be final and include all coursework or results. We do accept copies if they have been certified or attested; specific requirements depend on the country. To be considered official documents must be sent by a school counselor, EducationUSA counselor, or another educational officer. If exam results are able to be certified online, Albion College may accept unofficial versions that include the required verification information.

Translations:Certified translations are required if the original academic records are not issued by the authorizing body in English. We will not review applications that don’t include both the original language official document and a certified translation. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide both documents.

Transcripts:Transcripts are official documents detailing the classroom performance of students over time, and provide a history of academic performance. They are common in systems where completion of studies is determined by meeting class and grade requirements over time, such as in the United States and Canada. Transcripts are typically issued by the school the student attended.

Examination Results/Secondary Exam Certificates:Many countries require students to take exams administered externally, not by the school. The successful passing of these exams demonstrates that the student has completed secondary school and an official examination certificate is required for admission. Typically, this certificate is named “Certificate of Secondary Education”, “Senior Secondary Examination Certificate”, or similar. Documents should include both the results of exams and the conferral of the certificate. Provisional results slips, screenshots of website, and similar unofficial documents cannot be used for application review.

Internal Mark Sheets:Internal Mark Sheets are common in systems that require Secondary Examinations for completion. They show a student's performance over time as recorded by the school, but because completion is based on secondary exams they are not considered transcripts. They are required to accompany Secondary Examination Certificates to allow Albion to review historic academic performance.

French-style Systems:A relevé de notes is required for application review. You must provide a certified copy of bac results to confirm secondary completion.

Final Documents:If you were in secondary school at the time of admission, you must provide evidence of completion before you can begin classes. For students using a transcript, a final transcript demonstrating that you received your high school degree meets this requirement.

Both Secondary Examination Certificates and Internal Mark Sheets are required from applicants who have studied in the following country systems. This is a partial list; you may be required to send both documents if your country is not on this list.

International Baccalaureate Malaysia
Australia* Mongolia
Bangladesh Nigeria
Botswana Pakistan
Cameroon - British system Sierra Leone
Caribbean Commonwealth countries Singapore
Gambia South Africa
Ghana Sri Lanka
Hong Kong Swaziland
India Tanzania
Ireland Uganda
Kenya United Kingdom
Liberia Zimbabwe

*Australia - Requirements based on state, email for more information

Transfer Students:If you have attended any post-secondary institution after completing secondary school, we must have official documents showing all coursework for every institution you attended in addition to secondary school records. You should obtain official documents or certified copies, certified translations if the original is not in English, and send them to Albion College. We acknowledge that most universities will not send documents overseas, and will accept sealed envelopes you send.

  • If you decide to enroll, you will only receive credit for previous work outside of the US if we receive an official evaluation report directly from a NACES-approved service.

Meet Rob Kniss

Rob Kniss, director of student financial services

Director of Student Financial Services


Education: B.A., Michigan State University, 2003, M.A., Michigan State University, 2011, PH.D, Michigan State University, 2017

Hometown: Haslett, Michigan

Downtime: Spending time with my family.

Hello everyone! I am Rob Kniss, the Director for Student Financial Services for Albion College. Before coming to Albion I was an Assistant Director in the Office of Financial Aid at Michigan State University. Where I also earned my B.A., my M.A, and my Ph.D, with a focus in Higher Education Administration.
When I am not at work I enjoy running, playing basketball, and spending time with my family. I have three children, two daughters and one son. My two daughters both enjoy gymnastics and my son plays basketball.

Financial aid tip: Make sure to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) when it becomes available every year. Even if you are unsure about taking student loans. There are grant programs that students are eligible for but only if you file your FAFSA. You might miss out on gift aid if you do not file.

Transfer Profile: Ray Robinson, '19

Ray Robinson

What made you choose Albion College?

I chose Albion because I thought It was a beautiful college, both from a campus setting standpoint, as well as academically. I also got to move closer to home.

What was the transfer process like for you?

The transfer process was different from my past experiences in a good way. I didn’t know at first that Albion College existed, even though I lived 20 minutes away in Jackson. I set up a visit to meet with Mandy Dubiel. She made me feel like I was born to be a part of this college, let alone the athletics and education. The reason why It was different was because I never been to a college that felt like home.

What have you found to be the biggest difference at Albion from your previous experience?

The biggest difference at Albion is the community. Everyone accepts who you are and welcomes you with open arms. The campus was love at first sight, like a fall scene from a movie.

What has Albion done for you?

Albion has made me a better man than I was before. Albion pushes me to be great, and to never settle.

Meet Travis

Meet Travis.

Travis Tekiele

Travis Tekiele
Admission Counselor


Contact Travis

“At Albion, you will never get lost in the shuffle. We pride ourselves on the individualized attention that each student receives.”

In Travis’s words:

On what makes Albion Great:

“Whether you're a star athlete, a quiet bookworm, or somewhere in the middle, you are important in the eyes of Albion College!”

On the Albion College community:

“Although Albion is a small school, there is so much to do! With over 100 programs and organizations, Albion offers something for everyone. You'll meet like-minded people who will wind up being your friends well beyond your time at Albion College.”

His dream is to watch a game at every Major League Baseball stadium—so far, 11 out of 30.

On the run. Runnning shoes. He has ran at least 1 mile daily since Thanksgiving '13!

Home plate. Travis is a huge Detroit sports fan…
Lions, Tigers and Wings, oh my!

A funny guy. He loves watching 90's sitcoms.

More Articles ...