Constituent Information Request Program
Purpose & Objectives
The Office of Institutional Advancement (IA) acknowledges the need for Albion College departments, institutes, centers, and other campus entities to have reasonable access to the contact information of alumni, parents, and friends. This document aims to provide a standardized information request process that is efficient, that is user-friendly, and that facilitates information sharing between Albion College entities.
Providing departments, institutes, and other campus partners with reasonable access to constituent information will:
- Enable them to communicate more effectively and thoroughly with their audiences;
- Provide them with additional confidence in the accuracy of the contact information they are using;
- Increase the overall level of engagement between Albion College and its constituencies;
- Equip IA staff members with information that can help them to strategically engage constituents; and
- Ensure more consistency and unity in the College's communications with constituents.
IA partners that are covered under this program include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Academic Departments
- Alumni Association Board Members
- Alumni Chapter Leadership
- Alumni Reunion Volunteers
- Athletic Team Staff Members
- Board of Trustees Members
- Campus Programs & Organizations Staff Members
- Development Committees
- Greek Organization Staff Members
- Institutes & Programs of Distinction Staff Members
- Parent Leadership Council Members
- Student Group Advisors
The following is the process by which contact information can be requested.
- The requester agrees to the terms of the confidentiality statement and the agreement on appropriate use of the requested information.
- A faculty or staff member or College volunteer submits a written request to the Assistant Director of Advancement Services via an online form. If the requester is an employee, his / her division head must be copied on the request. If the requester is not an employee, he / she should have a faculty or staff member sponsor. The Assistant Director of Advancement Services will notify other IA units as appropriate.
- Advancement Services works with IT to create the list and distributes an Excel spreadsheet to the requester. IA asks for two weeks' notice on requests when possible.
- Data Verification: Each requester is asked to submit the names of five people who should be on the requested list and five who are not to help ensure the data's accuracy. Data integrity is a shared responsibility.
- When appropriate, Marketing and Communications provides design templates and guidelines.
- Requesters are asked to help ensure robust communication between College departments by copying the following e-mail addresses on all messages that use requested information (or to provide sample phone call scripts, if appropriate)
Constituent Information Request Form
The Albion College Alumni/Donor Database (including Banner, Profiles, and Versa) contains biographic, contact, and gift/pledge information on College alumni, donors, parents, and friends. The Alumni/Donor database is maintained for purposes related to Institutional Advancement (IA) programs and is subject to IA policies and procedures.
College employees should divulge no address, telephone, or other information from the Alumni/Donor database to non-College persons, unless appropriate College administrators determine that disclosure is required by law. An IA employee who receives a request for the contact information of a specific individual should offer to call the individual in question and request permission to share his / her contact information with the requester.
In accordance with Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) standards, employees will:
- Safeguard and respect donor and prospective donor information;
- Honor the wishes of an individual and/or organizational constituent with regard to how directory information and/or giving history is used;
- Record and keep only information relevant to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship;
- Identify the source of retained information;
- Safeguard prospective donor, donor, and other constituent lists compiled by the institution as the property of the institution; these lists may not be distributed or used for unauthorized purposes or for personal gain;
- Make every effort to ensure that volunteers, vendors, and external entities with access to constituent information understand and agree to comply with the organization's confidentiality and public disclosure policies.
If staff members are found to violate any of these conditions of confidentiality as described above, Albion College considers that to be a dischargeable offense.
If you have questions concerning this confidentiality statement or anything else discussed concerning confidentiality, please contact your supervisor.
Appropriate Use of Information Agreement
- Contact information for alumni, parents, and friends may be shared upon approval of a request for a particular use and can be utilized for a variety of reasons: sharing information and news, providing updates on activities and programs, extending invitations to events, distributing surveys, etc. Requested information cannot be used to solicit donations.
- Approval of the content will be handled through the process outlined above. Requests for information from IA must come only from individuals authorized to secure such information. The Assistant Director of Advancement Services approves all request forms.
- Disclosure of this information to unauthorized parties could violate the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). All information received must only be used for the sole purpose stated in this information request and then destroyed in a secure manner. Data should never be used for communication pieces that are not previously approved.
- Data will be provided in Excel spreadsheet format and sent only to the requester's Albion College email address (if the requester is a faculty or staff member). All provided data have a 30-day expiration. If more than 30 days have passed since that data were provided, the requester should destroy the provided data and request a refresh.
- In exchange for this information, it is expected that any and all updates to constituent contact information will be shared with IA so that the Alumni/Donor Database can reflect the new information. Requesters are asked to forward any updates regarding these data to:
- Per the above-described process, requesters are asked to help ensure robust communication between College departments by copying the following e-mail addresses on all messages that use requested information (or to provide sample phone call scripts, if appropriate)
- Contact Ellen Yoakam, Assistant Director of Advancement Services, (x0347,
) with questions.
Statement of Consequences
Campus constituents who violate any part of the above agreement are subject to disciplinary action at the discretion of the President's Office.
Please complete the form below to have your request processed.
New Hire Information
We look forward to you joining the Albion College community. A number of documents are needeed to finalize the hiring process as well as an in person meeting with a member of the Human Resources staff. If that meeting has not yet been scheduled you may do so by contact our office at 517-629-0205. The meeting should be on or before your first day of work. At this meeting you should bring with you emergency contact information, social security numbers of beneficiaries and those to be coverered under College health plans (if in a benefited position) and acceptable identification documents which will be used to complete the employer portion of the federal "Employment Eligibility Verification" form (I-9). An example of acceptable ID is a current passport or the combination of a valid driver's license and social security card. A list of all acceptable documents is available from the I-9 link below. This information is provided as a convenience should you choose not to print and complete the forms prior to your meeting they will be made available to you during the meeting. Please do not hesitate to contact the Human Resources staff should you have any questions.
In conjunction with Albion's Microsoft agreement, current students can download and install Office 365 on personal devices up to five times at no cost. Office 365 is the cloud-based offering of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.) Office 365 will always provide the latest versions of Microsoft Office applications and allow you to download updates during the time you are an active Albion student.
To begin the download, navigate to this website:
Office 365 for Students, does NOT have an installation/activation product key. You will need your Albion email address
) associated with Office 365 to activate your product and your Albion College network password.
After you click on "Install" it will provide you an option to "Run" or "Save." If you select "Run," it will donwload and begin the installation after the download has finished. If you select "Save," it will download and save the installer to a specified location on your computer. After the download is complete, you will need to click on the installer to begin the installation. The speed of the download and installation will depend on how fast your internet connection and computer are, but it typically take 40 - 60 minutes so please be patient.
Upon select the "Run" option, the installer will guide you through a series of prompts to complete your Office 365 install. You will see prompts relating to personal choice on the type of information you choose to send to Microsoft and background design. Once you have made those selections, you will see the loading page below:
After this is complete, you will see an "All Done" button. Select that and you are finished!
On a Windows machine, navigate to your Start menu and select the Office 365 program you want to use. On a Mac, you can use "Finder" to find Office 365 and move it to a location of your choosing.