Student Computer System Requirements
If you are purchasing a new computer we recommend a wireless laptop for mobility, but the choice is one of personal preference. Albion College is an operating system neutral campus.
Minimum hardware recommendation:
IMPORTANT WIRELESS NOTE: While wireless access is available in the residence halls, it is not guaranteed in student rooms, therefore ALL students should bring an Ethernet (RJ45) cable long enough to reach from the computer to the port in the wall.While most new computers will be able to connect to the Albion College network (25'),
Some small light-weight computing devices, often referred to as netbooks, have minimal hardware specifications (small hard drives and limited memory (RAM), do not have DVD drives, or wired network (Ethernet) ports which are necessary for residence hall room connectivity. Purchasing a computer without a wired Ethernet port will require the additional purchase of an external USB Ethernet adapter.
We recommend the following:
- Integrated or USB wired networking with 25' RJ45 Ethernet patch cable (wireless is not availabe in residence hall rooms)
- Integrated Wireless networking (802.11b/g or b/g/n) - standard on most new computers
- 2 Gigagbytes of RAM (memory), especially on Mac OS 10.5 and Vista
- Built in or external DVD drive for installing software
- Case for safe transportation
- Windows 8, Widows 7, Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (genuine versions only)
XP Service Pack 3 update is a free update available from Microsoft's Windows Update service.
- MAC - OS X 10.6 or higher
- Important: If your computer came with operating system installation disks, please bring them with you to aid in troubleshooting and resolving computer problems. Some manufacturers include a copy of your system disks on your hard drive. Check your documentation or contact the manufacturer.
Removable storage (optional):
USB 2.0 Jump/Flash Drive or USB powered portable hard drive
While students can use their print credits to print to college provided printers, many prefer the convenience of personal printer. Printer type is a matter of personal preference.
Wireless Access Points (optional):
Wireless access points can be plugged in to the network jack in a residence hall room in order to supply wireless networking in the room. Access Points are permitted in residence hall rooms, but wireless routers, including AirPort base stations are NOT PERMITTED.