Campus Conduct Hotline
To provide Albion College constituents with the opportunity to report inappropriate behavior confidentially and anonymously we participate in the Campus Conduct Hotline ©. The Campus Conduct Hotline© is designed to minimize any apprehension you may have and make it possible for you to report concerns about alleged illegal or unethical business practices, fraudulent accounting or bookkeeping, or waste of institution resources. The Campus Conduct Hotline© system is available for your use around the clock, seven days a week. Because the Hotline is operated by an independent organization, any tips made to the Hotline by phone or from your personal e-mail account are completely confidential and anonymous. Should a tip result in a complaint against an employee, the investigation will follow standard College policies and procedures.
Using this new reporting service is easy. Simply dial toll-free to 866/943-5787.
Once you have dialed the toll-free number, here is how the reporting and follow-up processes will work:
- Your call will be greeted promptly and courteously by a person who makes certain you understand the Campus Conduct Hotline© program and how it functions. If you prefer to make your report in a language other than English, just let the person who answers know and they will arrange for a translator to join your call within a few minutes.
- At the beginning of the interview, you will be provided with a five digit, randomly generated case number that you should use to check back for updates and requests for additional information. Be sure to write this number down and remember where you put it!
- You will then be interviewed about the question or concern that is on your mind.
- Your interview will not be recorded. Instead, the interviewer will be typing notes of your conversation. Whether or not you choose to provide your name is completely up to you.
- Within one business-day of your call, a confidential summary of the interview will be forwarded to only the Chairman of the Audit Committee of the Albion College Board of Trustees (for financial matters only), the Internal Auditor, and an external law firm, Curiale, Dellaverson, Hirschfeld, Kelly & Kraemer, LLP. It is the goal of the Internal Auditor to have a basic response back to Campus Conduct Hotline© within five business days.
- To receive your response, you will need to call back and provide the five digit case number that was assigned to you. At that time, you might be asked to provide additional information or to call back at a later date. You will be able to keep checking back for updates until your case is closed.
You can also reach the Hotline by sending an e-mail to
. To maintain confidentiality while contacting the Hotline by e-mail be sure to use your personal e-mail account. When you report via e-mail the process remains the same, you will be interviewed via e-mail correspondence, receive a five digit randomly generated case number, and have opportunity to receive a response to your concern within five business days.
Because of the built-in confidentiality, it is important that you try to be as specific as possible about the information you provide. For example, we will need to know the name of the department or location that you are calling about.
To repeat, at no time is any caller required to identify themselves and all information provided can be completely confidential and anonymous.
Please be sure to call back in five business days to check to see if any additional information is needed. If at any time you would like someone to contact you directly, you can leave your name, phone number and when you would prefer to be called.
We are committed to maintaining the highest ethical standards in our workplace. If you experience or observe what you believe is inappropriate behavior regarding business practices, accounting or bookkeeping, or use of institutional resources and are unsure what to do, we hope you will contact Albion's Internal Auditor or use the Campus Conduct Hotline© to report it.
It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to maintain an independent and objective Internal Audit function to provide value-added audit and advisory services to Albion College.
Internal Audit has four primary responsibilities:
- Financial and Management Information Integrity - Provides the Board of Trustees and senior management with increased assurance that financial and other management information is accurate and credible.
- Internal Control – Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness and efficiency of the College's internal control environment and processes.
- Operational Improvements - Evaluates operations to identify process-improvement and cost-savings opportunities for management action, and assists in communicating and implementing best practices within and between departments on campus.
- Audit Coordination - Coordinates internal audit programs with the external auditors to ensure the economical and effective completion of the annual audit of financial statements.
In carrying out its duties and responsibilities, Internal Audit will have full, free, and unrestricted access to all activities, records, property, and personnel that are under the purview of the Board of Trustees.
Internal Audit shall be independent of the activities audited and shall assert no direct responsibility or authority over activities reviewed. Internal Auditors should not develop and install procedures, prepare records, or engage in activities that would normally be evaluated by Internal Audit.
Internal audits are performed in all significant areas of the College and are prioritized according to a risk-based audit plan that is approved annually by the Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board of Trustees. Additional reviews may be performed at the request of the Board of Trustees or senior management. Resolutions of audit findings are sought during the performance of each audit. Management of each area is responsible for responding to the recommendations of Internal Audit promptly following receipt of a report containing those recommendations.
Internal audit reports with findings, recommendations, and management responses are forwarded to the Chairman of the Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board of Trustees, the President, and the Vice President for Finance and Administration for review and approval prior to issuance. The status of management responses will be monitored by Internal Audit on a regular basis to ensure that audit findings are resolved in a timely and effective manner.
Internal Audit reports functionally to the Chairman of the Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board of Trustees and administratively to the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS AND CODE OF ETHICS
Internal Audit subscribes to and intends to comply with all applicable professional standards and codes of ethics, including the Institute of Internal Auditors' "Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing."