Parking on Campus
All motor vehicles parked in College lots must be registered with the Office of Campus Safety. Any unregistered vehicle parked on campus is subject to being ticketed and/or towed at the owner's expense. The City of Albion also prohibits overnight parking on all city streets, and the Albion Department of Public Safety issues citations to vehicles found in violatin of this ordinance.
Visitor Parking and Temporary Parking Permits
Temporary parking permits are available for students who have visitors on campus or who need to being a vehicle to campus for a short period of time. Students are allotted fifteen (15) days of free temporary parking per semester, with a charge of $5 for each day over this limit. Students are not permitted to obtain temporary parking permits for other students. Students are responsible for all parking citations received by their visitors. The Temporary Parking Permit Regulations are listed below.
Student Parking Information
- The permit fee for academic year 2015-16 is $300 per year. Students assigned to park around the Dow Center are charged $280 per year. The fee for the permit is placed on student accounts after permits are picked up.
- Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors register for permits in the spring will register in the spring prior to for the upcoming school year, and may pick up their parking permit at Campus Safety when they arrive on campus for the fall semester.
- First-Year students register after they have paid their deposits, and permits and permits are distributed at Wesley Hall on move-in day. First-year students who come to campus prior to move-in day may pick their permits up at the Office of Campus Safety.
- All students are required to show their vehicle registrations when picking up their permit.
Open parking for students on campus begins at 5:00 p.m. every Friday and ends at 8:00 p.m. every Sunday during the academic year. During this period students with permits and vehicles with temporary permits may park in any campus lot except the following: the lot behind Baldwin Hall, handicapped spaces, fire lanes, and spaces designated as reserved.
- Parking lots and areas on campus are the private property of Albion College. Unauthorized or unregistered vehicles are subject to being ticketed and/or towed from campus at the owners risk and expense.
- Except as described below, students may only park their vehicles in their assigned zones. It is never permissible to park in the Ferguson lot during normal business hours, and students who drive to class or other locations around campus are expected to park their vehicles in the street..
- Vehicles with valid permits may park in any campus lot from 5:00 p.m. Friday through 5:00 p.m. Sunday. The only exceptions to this are the lot behind Baldwin Hall, handicapped spaces, fire lanes, and spaces designated as reserved.
- Students who find that their designated parking area is full should immediately contact Campus Safety for directions on where to park. Students who do not contact Campus Safety are subject to being ticketed for parking in an unauthorized lot.
- Permits must be placed on the lower left side of the back window of the vehicle to which the permit is assigned by Campus Safety. Students must immediately notify Campus Safety if they change or replace the vehicle that they have registered with Campus Safety. Altering, forging, or fraudulently obtaining or displaying a permit is a violation of College policy, and is addressed through the College Judicial Process.
- Students may not give or sell their parking permit to another student without prior authorization of the Office of Campus Safety. Parking permits are only valid while students reside in College-owned housing. Students who move off campus may return their permits to Campus Safety for a refund of the remainder of the yearly fee. Once students move off-campus, their permits become invalid, whether or not they are returned to Campus Safety.
- Students who need to load or unload vehicles in an area where they are assigned to park should contact Campus Safety. Students will be given a reasonable time to load or unload vehicles. Students who do not Campus Safety prior to loading or unloading their vehicles are subject to being ticketed.
- Students wishing to appeal citations must do so within 14 days of the ticket issuance date. Appeal forms are available at Campus Safety.The Appeals Board, which consists of a faculty member, a non-Campus Safety staff member, and a student recommended by Student Senate, meets monthlyt to consider parking appeals. Their decisions are final.
- All visitors who park vehicles in campus lots must obtain a visitors permit from Campus Safety. Permits are available at the Office of Campus Safety 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
- Those who park vehicles in College-owned lots do so at their own risk. Albion College is not liable for any loss or damage of vehicles that are parked on College property.
- Flagrant violators of parking regulations may be referred to the College Judicial Process..
Citations issued for vehicles found parked in violation of the College parking regulations result in the following fines:
|No Parking Zone||15.00|
|Parked on Grass||20.00|
|No Valid Permit Displayed||30.00|
|Handicapped Only Parking||30.00|
Ticket Appeal Forms
Parking_Appeal_Form.pdf may be printed, filled out, and turned in to Campus Safety withing 14 days of the ticket issue date. Forms may also be picked up at the Campus Safety office.
Temporary Parking Regulations
- All vehicles parked in College-owned lots must be registered with the Office of Campus Safety and display a valid parking permit.
- All students are allotted fifteen (15) days of free temporary parking, which may only be used for their non-student visitors or for themselves. There is a charge of $5 per day for every day over this limit.
- Students may not obtain temporary parking permits for other students for any reason.
- Temporary permits are normally only issued for Lot 24, which is the fenced dirt lot near the Nature Center with the blue emergency phone at the entrance.
- Visitor parking spaces in the Ferguson parking lot and other lots on campus are designated for those who are doing business with the College and are only on campus for short periods of time.
- Vehicles with temporary parking permits may park in any campus lot from 5:00 p.m. Friday through 5:00 p.m. Sunday. The only exceptions are handicapped spaces, fire lanes, and parking spaces marked reserved.
- Students are responsible for all parking citations issued to vehicles for which they have obtained a Temporary Parking Permit.