International Application

Start here when you're ready to go further.

Albion's international student application has two basic parts. Both parts are required of every international applicant, and each of these applications has detailed requirements, which can be found on our international admission requirements page.

  1. The first part is completing an application for admission. There are two applications to choose from:
  2. The second part is completing the pdfStatement of Financial Support.

Documents can be submitted to the admission office at this address:
611 E. Porter St., Albion, Michigan 49224

Once all of these documents are received the Admission Committee will review your file.

We welcome your questions about the application process (800/858-6770 or ) and look forward to getting to know you better.

International Students

At Albion, the classroom is only the beginning.

Albion College student Sandra Myint, '15
Sandra Myint, '15, from Yangon, Myanmar, describes her Albion experience on YouTube.

From day one, you're encouraged to dive into the things that you love. Our students investigate, explore, and create.

For over 180 years (and counting), we have prepared some of the brightest and caring individuals. Our distinguished liberal arts and sciences curriculum is based on thinking that makes connections.

As an Albion student, you'll gain access to institutes, centers and internships. Combing your studies with internships and cooperative education will create a dynamic and memorable learning experience.

Albion College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), and the National Association of Schools of Music.

Here are more reasons you'll like Albion:

  • We're ranked among the top 100 U.S. National Liberal Arts Colleges by U.S. News and World Report.

  • Our classes are small, which assures personal attention from exceptional faculty who will help you achieve a first-rate education at a world-class institution.

  • We support extensive opportunities for paid undergraduate research.

  • Our beautiful 90-acre campus adjoins a 144-acre nature center on the banks of the Kalamazoo River.

  • We offer state-of-the-art facilities, including a $41.3 million science complex and 340-acre equestrian center.

  • Cultural, sports, and entertainment centers are nearby, such as Ann Arbor, Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, and Cleveland.

  • We're committed to building a global campus community.

  • Environmentally friendly and sustainable campus.

  • Total enrollment numbers 1,405

  • Faculty to student ratio 11:1

  • Over 100 clubs and organizations on campus

  • Over 90% of our faculty hold a doctoral or terminal degree.

  • For more rankings view our Awards and Recognitions

Albion College is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

International Student Admission Requirements

Welcome to the Albion College international admission Web site.

What it takes to be a Briton starts here.

So you've thought about it, and now all that's left to do is apply. You’ll find all the necessary information right here. Albion College requires the following for all international students:

  1. A completed application.

    Application Deadlines:

    • November 1 for Spring term (January)
    • June 1 for Fall term (August)
  2. Transcripts must be sent directly from your secondary school, university or an EducationUSA advisor. If you are using the Common Application for submission, items should be uploaded to the Common Application but may be scanned, faxed or mailed if they are coming directly from your secondary school, university or an EducationUSA advisor. All copies of all academic records, secondary school transcripts, and college or university transcripts must be translated into English and include a listing of individual courses including types, number, and grades received.

    A minimum of at least three years of records are required from students applying from a four-year secondary institution. A minimum of two years of records is required from students applying from three-year secondary institutions.

    Transfer students must provide official transcripts from all previously attended universities in addition to proof of secondary school completion. Students may be required to submit credentials to a NACES (hyperlink to: approved agency, such as WES, ECE or EP, for evaluation. Evaluations must be sent directly from the NACES evaluation provider. Collegiate credits can be transferred at any time after the semester ends, but will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the Albion College Registrar.

  3. Demonstrated English language proficiency if you are not a native speaker.

    One of the following scores below must be sent directly from testing agency.

    • TOEFL - 79 iBT or higher
    • IELTS - 6.5 (overall)
    • ELS - Language Center course 112
    • SAT or ACT test scores

    (SAT 510 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Section or ACT English & Writing with a minimum score of 19 in each section).

    Official scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, ACT, or SAT, or the completion of ELS course 112, should be sent directly to Albion College from the Educational Testing Service.

    CEEB/TOEFL School Code: 1007

  4. Short essay or personal statement (included in the application but may be sent separately).

  5. One letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, school official, coach or community service coordinator. Recommendations should come directly from the recommender and may be scanned, faxed or mailed back to the Office of Admission. A SKYPE or in person interview may be used in lieu of a recommendation letter.

  6. The Albion College pdfStatement of Financial Support including proof of funding. This form may be scanned, faxed or mailed back to the Office of Admission with proof of funding.

  7. Copy of valid passport page. Include a copy of your visa or I-20 (if applicable) if you are currently on a valid visa in the United States of America.

    Advance credits may be given to AP, IB and A level results.

Your application will be reviewed once we receive your completed application and supporting documentation. If we have questions or need additional information, we will contact you via email.

International Students' FAQs

Students at the spring 2012 International Dinner in Albion College's Baldwin Hall.

You have questions. We have answers.

Where is Albion College?

Albion College is located in Albion, Michigan, which is in the beautiful south-central region of the state between the cities of Ann Arbor and Battle Creek. Our campus is spacious with state-of-the-art facilities, lots of green space, a nature center and and equestrian center. Albion Collete is near Interstate 94, making it within driving distance of many major cities. Albion is 90 miles west of Detroit, 175 miles east of Chicago and 325 miles west of Toronto. View our map and directions

What can I study at Albion?

Choose from one of our programs of study, or design your own major working with our faculty.

What is a liberal arts education?

Currently regarded as the best preparation for a professional career (according to top corporations and graduate schools), the liberal arts tradition dates back several centuries. It ensures a breadth and depth of inquiry into the humanities, sciences, social sciences, and creative arts—ultimately developing valuable tools and skills for career success and lifelong learning.

What makes Albion stand out?

Albion's academic program blends the classic foundation of the liberal arts and sciences with innovative, pre-professional course work and internships in the sciences, business and economics, medicine, law, and education. Our pre-professional institutes, centers, and programs offer semester, yearlong, and summer internships all over the world. We're one of the leading colleges in the U.S. for undergraduate research.

What is the difference between a college and a university?

In the U.S., college or university follows high school or secondary school, which is the thirteenth year of school and usually when a student is age 17 or older. A two-year college offers an associate's degree, while a four-year college or university offers a bachelor's degree. A university is a grouping of schools where one studies after secondary school or high school. At least one of these schools is a college where students receive a bachelor's degree, while the other schools are graduate schools (also known as postgraduate), where students receive advanced degrees. A university offers both the bachelor's degree and graduate degrees such as the master's (M.A.) and doctorate (Ph.D.). Albion College is an undergraduate institution only. A few colleges offer graduate programs in selected subjects. Most graduate programs, however, are only available at universities. Find more here: EducationUSA

Who attends Albion College?

Total enrollment at Albion is approximately 1,500 students. Our students come from  25 states and 20 foreign countries. Find out more about student life.

How successful are Albion College graduates?

We like to let our alumni speak for themselves. Find their success stories here.

How selective is Albion College? How are admissions decisions made?

Albion places a high value on a rigorous college preparatory curriculum. Therefore, we place great weight on grade point average (GPA), difficulty of courses taken, and consistency in academic performance. Standardized test scores are used as a platform to normalize student performance at schools around the world. We have many more qualified international candidates than we are able to admit, and this makes scholarship consideration highly completitive.

How does Albion review International Baccalaureates and WAEC/WASSCE?

In most cases, a grade point is derived and weighed on a four-point scale and conversion from the host school's grading system. IB candidates are granted up to one semester of academic credit for approved IB classes if the scores and their courses are 5 or higher. African students who have taken the WAEC or WASSCE should submit both their transcripts and WAEC/WASSCE results slips, along with scratch card information so that we can verify their results. For more information visit

Are my grades the biggest part of my application?

Yes, along with the difficulty of classes taken and consistency in academic performance. Find application requirements here.

Can I apply as a transfer student?

Yes. Official transcripts (certified and translated into English) are required from each college or university you have attended. In most cases, an external evaluation by a NACES approved evaluation company may be required for universities in non-English speaking countries or as deemed necessary for evaluation by the Registrar.

Can I apply with my O-Levels only?

Yes, we accept applications from students who have completed their O-Levels. In this instance it would be to the applicant's advantage to take the ACT or SAT.

Does Albion College offer full-tuition scholarships?

We do not provide full scholarship support. International students who demonstrate superior academic achievement and potential for success often receive substantial academic merit scholarships.

Will Albion help me with employment opportunities?

The Financial Aid Office assists students with employment both on and off campus. To be considered for student employment, students must have the appropriate visa to work in the United States. Working on an F-1 visa involves many regulations; however, you should be able to work up to 20 hours per week. Learn more about student employment here.

How much money will I be able to earn annually?

Student wages vary depending on the kind of job you get and how many hours you work per week. On-campus jobs typically pay between $7.40 to $9.00 per hour. A limited number pay more for specialized work in such areas as information technology. During the academic year, full-time students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. When school is not in session, you can work full-time either on or off campus. Salaries for these jobs vary and must meet the requirements of your student visa.

What kind of services are available for international students at Albion?

A wide variety of services are available for international students.

What are my housing and boarding options?

All first-year students are housed in either Wesley Hall or Seaton Hall. This allows you to become familiar with Albion and to make friends quickly. More information can be found at the Office of Residential Life.

Will I be able to stay on campus during school holidays?

Yes, international students may obtain approval to stay on campus during holidays if they do not have another option. We'll help you make arrangements. Our dining hall is not open during holidays, so students will need to prepare their own meals.

How do Albion students spend their free time?

Our students are active. They do everything. See for yourself.

Are there student organizations at Albion that promote internationalism and interculturalism?

Yes. Albion has more than 100 student organizations, and there are several groups devoted to diversity and awareness, including our International Student Union.

Will my religious faith be welcomed on campus?

Yes. At Albion, we value all faiths and individual spiritual development. The Office of the Chaplain supports programs that promote innovative thought on ethics, religion, and social responsibility. And the Office of Intercultural Affairs supports underrepresented students by promoting awareness of multicultural issues among all students, staff, and faculty.

What if Albion College does not offer an academic major, a sports club, or an organization that interests me?

You may design your own academic major (with faculty and staff approval) and your own student organization or club. We encourage you to think of new ways to make your Albion experience unique.

How do I obtain a visa to study at Albion College?

After you meet all the admission criteria, the Office of Admission will issue you a Form 1-20 which will allow you to apply for a visa at your local United States Embassy.

What can I do to prepare for my departure?

We encourage you to attend an EducationUSA pre-departure session. It's not mandatory for incoming international students, but we feel these sessions are very valuable. We have excellent relationships with EducationUSA officers throughout the world. Please visit EducationUSA for more information about pre-departure sessions.

What should I bring from home to the United States?

You should bring prescription medicines, glasses, or other medical supplies that may not be available in the U.S. You'll need warm clothes for the winter in Michigan, and these may be purchased in Albion. We arrange special outings and events to accommodate our international students' needs.

Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS? Can I substitute it with another similar type of examination?

Students whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of one of the approved English Language Assessments explained in the international admission requirements for international students. Citizens of Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and the UK may be exempt from the English language testing requirements. At this time, we don't accept substitutions for the English Language Requirement.

Can I send an official copy of my IELTS score through the British Council?

Yes, you can have the Cambridge ESOL, the British Council or IDP:IELTS Australia send it directly to us.

Can you place me in communication with current students and faculty?

Absolutely, whenever possible, qualified applicants can be connected with current students and faculty upon request.

If I am on a B visitor visa, can I seek a change of status I-20?

No, at this time we only grant a change of status I-20 for certain visa categories but it excludes B visas. Students approved for a change of status I-20 must complete the change of status before commencing studies at Albion College.

Do I have to fill out a Statement of Financial Support and provide proof of funding if I am on a G, H or O visa?

Yes, at this time we require that you still demonstrate the funds necessary to pay for your studies at Albion College. This will be kept on file and may be helpful if you decide to change to F-1 status at a later date.

I am a dual citizen of the USA and another country can I choose to apply as an international student?

No, you should apply as a U.S. Citizen and take advantage of financial aid awarded by the government that may not be available to international students. You would apply as a domestic student and follow the domestic procedures for admission.

Do you have a special counselor that works with Americans Living Abroad?

Yes, we have domestic staff members dedicated to working with U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents with schooling overseas but currently residing in the U.S.A. and for students living in off-shore U.S. territories and possessions, which include American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. If you are an American Living Abroad but not living in an U.S. territory, our staff will work with you through the application process. If you have U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency, you should always apply as a domestic student. We do recognize that Americans Living Abroad (ALA) and Third Culture Kids (TCK) have a unique experience and we want to acknowledge that by dedicating counselors on staff to assist students who identify as an ALA or Third Culture Kid.

How long do decisions take in general?

We should have a decision rendered within 2 weeks as long as a student has met all of the requirements for admission. Please note that sometimes decisions may take longer due to staff and faculty availability.

How do I receive my acceptance letter and I-20?

All accepted international students are sent an email with their award letter and SEVIS ID number. To receive the original documents for your visa appointment, please use SASS-smartship or eship global to receive your admission materials. Please select FedEX if using eship global. Please note that express shipping is done at the individual's expense. If you have any questions about using SASS-smartship or eship global make sure to use the help features on their websites.

I would like more information about Albion. Who do I contact?

Please complete the online inquiry form and include your questions, or you may email us at . We look forward to hearing from you.

More Articles ...