Sometimes all of us need a reminder of how to behave in what could be a stressful situation.
- Research the company and specific position ahead of time.
- Get a good night's sleep before the interview so you will be mentally alert.
- Leave plenty of time to get to the interview, you should arrive 10-15 minutes early.Never arrive late!
- Dress properly and appear well groomed.
- Express enthusiasm.
- Remember and correctly pronounce the names of the people you meet.
- Sit up straight, maintain eye contact, and show sincere and polite interest in the position and interviewer.
- Listen carefully to interview questions and answer completely.
- Sell your qualifications rather than your need for a job.
- Ask questions during the interview.
- Bring additional copies of your resume and list of references.
- Follow-up the interview with a thank you letter.
- Bring others to the interview.
- Interrupt the interviewer.
- Ask questions about salary and benefits.
- Criticize former employers, co-workers, applicants, organizations.
- Chew gum.
The best way to be sure you are prepared for an interview is to do a mock interview in the Career and Internship Center or with faculty specific to the area you are interviewing for. Treat a mock interview as the real thing - dress and all!