Nels Christensen, associate professor of English, was a guest during the Feb. 9 edition of the Greening of the Great Lakes radio program on WJR 760-AM, Detroit. The hour-long program airs Sundays at 7 p.m. and is hosted by Dr. Kirk Heinze, '70.
A capacity crowd braved the snow and cold January 30 to hear NAACP Chairman Emeritus and civil rights activist Julian Bond deliver the keynote address during Albion College's Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation and Community Celebration at Goodrich Chapel.
Recently, the Albion NAACP presented Albion College history professor Wes Dick with its Branch Leadership Award, while Substance Abuse Prevention Services Executive Director Harry Bonner organized a dinner simply to note Dick's importance to the Albion community.
Grand Rapids Mayor George Heartwell, '71, has been named to President Obama's Task Force on Climate Preparedness and Resilience. Heartwell is one of just 26 task force members and the only Michigander in the group.
Travis Trombley, '14, will be rewarded for his dedication to community journalism January 31 when he receives a Michigan Press Association Foundation Community Journalism Scholarship. Trombley, who has written a wide range of stories for The Pleiad, the College's weekly student newspaper, says, "Feature writing, in essence, is community writing. ... Community journalism is something I don’t mind spending extra time on. I’m doing my job when I’m reporting, and I love that."
"There is no such thing as a 'typical day' at the Midland Area Chamber of Commerce," writes Jamaris Leapheart, '15, who recently completed a fall-semester internship at the Chamber. "During my internship here, I have done data entry, solicitation for a charity fundraiser, given presentations to schools about community service, made and sent thank-you cards, folded programs, and made name badges and gift bags."
- Alumni in the News: Bill Sweeney, '98; Sarah McNitt, '02
- First-Years in Hawaii: Above the Clouds, Connected with Culture
- Basques and Bilbao: Emily Walker's Semester in Spain
- Albion College's 2013: A Look Back
- Melpolder, '14, Reflects on Practical, Athletic Experiences
- CIC NetVUE Grant to Support Student Career Exploration
- Ingalls, '14, Connects Leadership Skills, Physical Activity
- Education Think Tank Selects Baker
- Alumni in the News: Doug Parker, '84; John Vournakis, '61
- WWII Veterans Bring Past to Present for History Students