More than 160 faculty, staff and other well-wishers gathered in the Science Complex atrium Aug. 18 for a Recognition Ceremony for Mike Frandsen, who will serve as Albion College's interim president for the 2013-14 academic year.
"If you use sunscreen, detergents, paint, garden-care products or a car, chances are you own something that uses BASF technology," writes chemistry major Joe Thomas, '14. "BASF is the largest chemical company in the world, but not many people know their name because they don’t put out many products straight to the shelves. It has more than 40 U.S. operations, and I'm spending the summer with BASF’s Wyandotte site in the High Temperature Polymerization Group."
After five months of extensive renovations, Baldwin Hall's lower level—Albion College's main dining facility—welcomed faculty and staff for a noon-hour lunch Aug. 14 in what amounted to a full dress rehearsal 10 days before most students arrive. "This has been a tremendous team effort to put all this together—from employees to contractors to architects," Interim President Mike Frandsen said.
The Albion community received word of the passing of Elkin R. "Ike" Isaac, '48, on Tuesday, Aug. 13. A three-time all-Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association performer on the basketball court, Isaac went on to coach four sports and serve as athletic director at his alma mater. The College's annual student research symposium has been named in his honor since 1997.
Presidential daughter Susan Ford Bales makes a special visit to Michigan to deliver the 2013 Albion College William K. Stoffer Lecture, the centerpiece of the College's Opening Convocation. Her presentation, titled “The American Presidency: Before Jerry and Betty—and After,” follows the Convocation processional, which begins at 7 p.m. Thursday, August 29, in Albion College’s Goodrich Chapel.
Albion College psychological science professor Drew Christopher was recently granted the 2013 Robert S. Daniel Teaching Excellence Award from the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (STP), part of the American Psychological Association (APA). The award, given each year to one four-year college/university professor, was presented to Christopher at the national APA convention in Honolulu.
- Albion Featured in The Princeton Review's 'Best 378 Colleges'
- Wall Street Summer: Waldron, '14, Interns with Goldman Sachs
- Havens, '12, Sets Course for Ocean Adventure
- Albion Duo Launch Music Careers
- Kayleigh Harvey, '15: Managing Horses on Mackinac Island
- Paul Lewis, '14, Shares His Love for the Arts on the Road
- Patrick McLean Named New Ford Institute Director at Albion College
- Facilities Operations Continues to Launch Sustainable Initiatives
- College Works with Albion Schools on District Transition
- Faculty, Staff Celebrate Wellness, Weight Loss with Dedicated Facility