News Archive

International Student Services

Albion College international students and Center for International Education staff have fun in front of the camera.

Where you'll find support for… everything.

International students often choose Albion College because they know they'll have the support they need on campus.

International Orientation

Living and studying far from home can be challenging. You may need help becoming confortable with with our customs, lifestyles, academic practices, and even our food. We've created an international orientation program to help you in the transition.

You'll be greeted at the airport by international orientation leaders and the director of the Center for International Education. They'll take you to your room at Albion, where your residence hall assistant will help you settle in.

At international orientation, you'll get to know our campus and the city of Albion. We will help ease your transition and introduce you to the many ways you can get involved on campus. We provide help with things like bank accounts, Social Security card applications, and shopping trips.

Degree-seeking international students will also participate in SOAR (Student Orientation Advising and Registration), an exciting program that introduces all new students to Albion College.

Advising and Counseling

Every Albion student has at least four advisors: student and faculty first-year mentors, an academic advisor, and a residence hall assistant. You'll also have international faculty and peer advisors to help make Albion feel like home. Further, our Counseling Services office provides all students with confidential mental health counseling. The Counseling Services staff can also provide referrals to community mental health agencies.

Health Care

Albion College's Student Health Services clinic provides every Albion student  complete outpatient health care with referrals to specialists as needed. Visits to Student Health Services and college physicians are free; however, there may be an occasional small charge for supplies or medication. Full laboratory testing and X-rays are available in cooperation with Oaklawn Hospital. A health insurance program is required for international students to cover services not offered on campus.

Employment Opportunities

Campus employment is available to help you meet expenses. The Student Employment Office has a listing of on- and off-campus jobs available to all students. You may also seek assistance with internships and Optional Practical Training (OPT) jobs by contacting the director of the Center for International Education or other Albion staff and faculty.

Student wages vary—on-campus jobs usually pay between $7.40 and $9.00 per hour. During the academic year, full-time students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. When school is not in session, you're allowed to work full-time depending upon your visa status.


Our students go everywhere—and most of them rely on our (free) College transportation. Campus Safety takes students to and from medical appointments or classes (if injured). We also take groups to local stores, shopping malls, groceries, and department stores at least once a week. During scheduled holidays, a shuttle service is available to and from Michigan airports for a minimal fee.

Religious and Multicultural Diversity

At Albion, we value all faiths and individual spiritual development. The Office of the Chaplain supports programs that promote innovative thought on ethics, religion, and social responsibility. And the Office of Intercultural Affairs supports underrepresented students by promoting awareness of multicultural issues among all students, staff, and faculty.

Receiving Your Aid

An Albion College men's soccer student-athlete.Determining your eligibility for financial aid is an important first step. Here, you’ll find additional information on securing your financial aid offer—and keeping it.

Requirements to Receive Aid

Students must meet requirements to receive federal and state financial aid. These include:

  • Being a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Being enrolled in a degree or certificate program
  • Being enrolled at least half-time
  • Being registered with Selective Service, if a male
  • Having a high school diploma, or equivalent
  • Meeting the financial need requirements

Students must also meet satisfactory academic progress standards.

Obtaining Your Aid

After completing your FAFSA, you'll receive notification from the Office of Student Financial Services regarding the funds you are eligible for, along with specific instructions on how to obtain those funds. This information is always available in your ACIS account.

Getting Your Bill

In early July the College begins sending notification of your bill. This notification is sent as an email to you. If you'd like to have your parents get a copy, you'll need to set them up as authorized users. You can do that at SOAR or by logging into ACIS and visiting the eBill section.

Understanding Your Bill

The charges reflected are only for the fall semester. Your financial aid offer and your financing plan are for the whole year, so the numbers will be different. Your bill will include your tuition, fees, housing,and meal charges.

Financial Aid on Your Bill

Some of your financial aid will be reflected on your bill.

Some won't—here's why:

  • Federal funds cannot be credited to your student account until ten days before the start of the semester. That includes Pell and Supplemental Grants as well as Direct Loans.

  • Michigan Tuition Grant funds will be applied when the State confirms your eligibility.

  • Work-Study/Albion Work funds must be earned.  You will be paid by a paycheck for the hours you work.  You may use those funds for incidential expenses or make a payment on your student account.
  • If you haven't completed all the requirements, we can't put funds on your account.

What Does 'Authorized Financial Aid' Mean?

These funds are all set and ready to pay. We are waiting until ten days before the beginning of the semester to put the funds on your student account (it's a federal rule, we can't put it on until then). These funds are already subtracted from the amount due on your bill.

What Are 'Memo Items'?

These are funds that are in process, meaning you are eligible for them, but you haven't completed all the requirements.


 Students in a class in the Kellogg Center, fall 2012

Where a vision becomes a possibility.

Scholarships are a gift. They change lives, allowing entry into a world of thought and exploration that would otherwise not be possible. We believe in their transformative power, and are always working to provide more. Information and application instructions are located through the links below.

Types of Aid



Know your options.

From grants and scholarships to loans and work-study, you'll need to be familiar with all the types of aid you may be eligible to receive. All aid falls in two basic categories – gift assistance and self-help assistance.

Gift assistance includes scholarships and grant funds from Albion, the state of Michigan, the federal government, and other outside agencies. These funds do not need to be repaid. The State of Michigan Competitive Scholarship and Tuition Grant programs are special awards designed to make private colleges in Michigan affordable for Michigan families.

Self-help assistance includes funds such as low-interest student loans, which must be repaid. Campus employment is another form of self-help.






    More Articles ...