Full-time faculty and administrative employees.
It is the policy of Albion College to grant employees paid funeral leave for up to five days in order to make arrangements and attend the funeral of a member of the employee's immediate family. Immediate family includes an employee's spouse, child, stepchild, grandchild, mother, father, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother, sister, grandparent, daughter-in-law, and son-in-law.
Employees are eligible for up to three days paid funeral leave in order to make arrangements and attend the funeral for relatives other than the immediate family.
Upon the death of a member of an employee's family, the employee must notify and request from the employee's supervisor the length of time the employee needs to be absent from work.
Cabinet reviewed 7/97
Flowers and Gifts
Purchase of flowers or gifts shall be approved only through the Human Resources office. Exception is made where items have been authorized by a cabinet officer.
The College will send an appropriate item to an employee, employee's spouse or child in the event of an extended hospital confinement or surgical procedure.
Upon the death of an employee or an employee's spouse, child, mother or father a floral arrangement or suitable gift of condolence will be made.
Flowers or other personal gifts to employees except as noted above are not to be purchased with college funds, but should be financed through voluntary contributions.
The Human Resources office should be advised when it is necessary to order an item. The following information should be provided:
- Name of the employee or deceased person.
- Name and address of the hospital or funeral home.
- Relationship of the person to the employee.
Cabinet reviewed 7/97
Disability - Short Term
Albion College provides salary continuation to those full-time employees temporarily disabled due to a non-occupational accident or illness including, in the case of a female employee, pregnancy and pregnancy- related conditions.
An employee shall be eligible for full salary continuation and partial salary continuation as follows:
- Full salary will continue for two (2) weeks for each year of service up to ten (10) years of service, and three (3) weeks for each year of service over ten (10) years of service, up to a maximum of 26 weeks (6 months).
- Partial salary will continue at fifty percent (50%) of an employee's monthly salary for employees with less than five (5) years of service, which shall be payable after the exhaustion of the payments in step 1, up to a maximum of 26 weeks (6 months).
- Partial salary continues at sixty percent (60%) of an employee's monthly salary for employees with more than five (5) years of service, which shall be payable after the exhaustion of the payments in step 1 up to a combined maximum of twenty-six weeks.
- Full and partial salary continuation payments will be computed on the basis of the employee's salary at the time the medical leave commenced.
- Once an eligible employee recovers from a disability and returns to full-time work, the employee shall again be eligible for salary continuation.
- Subsequent disabilities arising from the same cause or a recurrence of a previous disability will be considered a new disability only if the employee has returned to work full time for a minimum of two (2) weeks.
- If an employee receives or is entitled to receive benefits from the disability provision of an individual "No Fault" automobile policy, benefits payable will be reduced by that amount of benefits the employee receives or is entitled to receive from the "No Fault" automobile policy.
- The College will require the employee to furnish written statements from a qualified physician specifying the nature and extent of the disability.
Retirement Program - TIAA/CREF
The College participates with Teacher’s Insurance and Annuity Association/College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA/CREF). And offers both a Retirement Annunity as well as a Supplemental Retirement Annunity. Select a link below for specific plan information
Summary Plan Document
2000 Town Center, Suite 2000
Southfield, MI 48075-1120
Customer Services: 1-248 351-9040 or 1-800 842-2044
Web Page: http://www.tiaa-cref.org/
TIAA-CREF Automated Telephone Service - 1 800 842-2252
Use touch-tone entry to change your allocation or transfer funds, get accumulation balances and last premium credited, and/or hear prerecorded information on CREF account performance and TIAA interest and dividend rates.
Available 24 hours a day.
Telephone Counseling Center - 1 800 842-2776
Speak with an individual consultant about your TIAA-CREF retirement plan or tax-deferred annuity.
Available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET, and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Please note: Our busiest times are from noon to 2:00 p.m. ET, and our busiest day is Monday.)
Advisor Services - 1 888 842-0318
Speak with one of our Advisor consultants for information on how TIAA-CREF works with Advisors.
Available Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. ET