Centered on Community
Starting in Fall 2015, Albion College will annually offer four-year tuition, room, and board to as many as 10 first-year students who are Albion residents and attended Albion Public Schools in grades 6-8. Read more
Reopening the Bohm: Read about a landmark internship for Andrea Walles, '15
Watch an expert panel discuss "Albion Tomorrow"
Track 1 (Albion College degree-seeking student)
Students enrolled in this track:
- Are degree-seeking students at Albion College enrolled in a minimum of one academic major who carry the required 3 units to maintain full-time status (with 4 units recommended in order to fulfill graduation requirements in 4 years)
- Attend two unmounted lectures/practical labs and two riding lessons per week (scheduled around regular class times)
- Attend additional lectures and field trips as scheduled/necessary
- Have the option to remain on-campus during summer semester breaks to continue the BHS program and increase their hands-on, practical hours
- Are put on a track to complete the requirements for international BHS certification within their 4 years and graduate with both a B.A. and certification at BHSAI (Assistant Instructor, International Level 1)
Students also have the opportunity to board their horse at the Held Equestrian Center, compete on Albion's equestrian teams, and compete locally, regionally, and nationally as schedules and finances permit.
Track 2 (BHS candidate not seeking an Albion College degree)
Candidates in this track:
- Are not enrolled as Albion College bachelor's degree-seeking students but are enrolled solely in the BHS training program at the Nancy G. Held Equestrian Center
- Attend unmounted lectures and mounted lessons twice per day, 5 days a week
- Perform daily barn chores 6 days per week and stay in the program year-round (46 weeks per year)
- Live off campus
- Complete the program in a time frame that corresponds to their level of experience and proficiency upon entering the program, with most students achieving BHSAI (Assistant Instructor), International Level I within 2 years.