Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey!
Your reponses are key to information that will assist in improving services at the college as well as provide information in respond to questions from faculty, graduate schools, employers, alumni, and prospective students. Grouped data is also used in response to requests from organizations like Barron’s, Peterson’s and U.S. News and World Report.
Information provided will remain strictly confidential and absolutely no identifying information will be used.
How to complete the survey
- You will be mailed a copy of the survey to complete and return
- If you prefer, you can complete the survey on-line
Thank you very much for your time and participation!
Preparing for an Interview
The interview is your chance to meet potential employers or graduate school colleagues and to expand upon the information highlighted in your résumé and application materials. It is also the chance to learn first hand and in detail about positions and organizations in your field of interest.
Think of the interview as the opportunity to exchange information, not a one-way monologue in which your role is to only answer questions asked.
Although interviewing time lines and processes vary according to your field or the organization, there are many standard aspects of interviewing. These include:
- Interacting with employers before and after the interview
- Preparing for the interview
- Tips on the interview itself
The Office of Career Development is available to assist you as you prepare for an interview. Preparation and practice are key in acing your interview!
What is a Personal Statement?
Writing a personal statement for graduate school applications can feel overwhelming. The purpose of your personal statement is to introduce yourself, explain why you are a good match for the program, market yourself, and entice the admissions committee to positively consider your application. Begin by researching each graduate school you are applying to and learning everything you can about their programs, faculty interests, and requirements for applications.
The Office of Career Development is available to discuss the process with you and assist you as you develop your cover letter – simply contact us.
In addition to Career Development staff, don’t forget the other many resources available to you:
- Albion faculty – they were successful in their applications
- Albion alumni and friends who have gone on to graduate school – they have insight into what worked for them and/or what a specific school is looking for
- Internet sites created by graduate students at various schools – search on the Internet for blogs
- The writing center – available to assist you in the writing process
Senior Year: Implementation & Transition
At long last - you have achieved your last year at Albion College. It is more critical than ever that you use your resources well, stay organized, and keep your eye on the ball.
- Meet with a Career Development staff member to design a job search strategy or finalize your graduate/professional school search timeline and plans.
- Attend Career Development workshops targeted for seniors: Developing a Job Searching Plan, Resume Writing, Successful Interviewing, Getting an Apartment, Day One at Work as well as a Senior Open House and more.
- Ask faculty and employers to provide references for you.
- Revise and update your resume and draft a cover letter. For graduate school, complete your personal statement.
- Mail your applications to graduate schools.
- Prepare for graduate school or job interviews with a mock interview in Career Development.
- Complete an internship or career-related work experience if you haven’t already.
- Formulate an alternate “Plan B” in case you need to make last minute career adjustments.
- Assist your student organization transition from your leadership to the upcoming leaders in the group.
- Begin to research companies/organizations and the career opportunities they offer.
- Participate in career fairs and build your network of contacts in your field of interest.
Most importantly - use all the expertise and resources Albion College has to offer as you transition to career or graduate school following graduation!