- Published on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 16:56
About Albion College Wellness
The Albion College Wellness program aims to enable and equip all faculty and staff members to make wise choices about their wellbeing and to become healthier, more productive members of the College community.
In 2013, Albion College made significant investment in the wellness of its employees by developing “the Depot,” a fitness center reserved solely for faculty and staff members.
Led by Campus Wellness Director, Tom Johnson, the Depot accommodates over 40 participants daily with more participants joining in regularly.
Four major elements comprise the FITT Brits program: education, physical activity, data collection, and outcomes. Johnson provides personalized support and consultation, regularly collects data from participants and has seen a steady reduction in total pounds and body mass index and an increase in the number of pushups and flexibility.
The Depot currently comprises a 572 sq. ft. workout area, a 300 sq. ft. room for spinning machines, two 208 sq. ft. offices, and small spaces along the walls that accommodate dumbbells, cardiovascular machines, and educational literature.
The goals of the Albion College Wellness Program include:
- Educating the Albion College Community to realize ownership of their own health
- Providing the Albion College Community with a supportive and inviting environment in which participants can work to improve their individual health habits
- Providing activities, equipment and instruction so that the members of the Albion College Community become more physically active
- Providing an avenue for Albion College students to learn about and facilitate activities as “Fitness Assistants.”
- Wallyball - M-F at 12 p.m. (group meets on the racquetball court)
- Spinning - M/W/F at 12 p.m. with Nikki Lee
- Kettlebell - T/TH at 12 p.m. with Erik Achenbach
- Tian Wu Dao - M/W/Th/F at 2-2:45 p.m. with Andy Boyan
- Kettlebell - M/W at 5 p.m. with Drew Dunham
- Personal Training - ongoing with Tom Johnson