Most journalism minors at Albion College choose to do an internship after completing the beginning and advanced writing and reporting courses.
Some work and study abroad through off-campus programs; recent internship placements have been at The Guardian Observer, Reader's Digest, NBC News and The New Statesman Magazine in London, at the World Association of Newspapers in Paris, at the Soho Press and Jane magazine in New York, and at media companies in Sydney, Nairobi, Florence and Aberdeen.
In Michigan, students have gained editorial experience working for The Jackson Citizen-Patriot, The Battle Creek Enquirer, The Northville Record, The Novi News, The Oakland Business Review, The Albion Recorder, Jackson Magazine, The Gale Group and other local newspapers, magazines and book publishers. Some have pursued writing opportunities in marketing and public relations at companies such as the Detroit Lions, The Detroit Metro Times, Starr Commonwealth and others.
In addition, journalism students are encouraged to submit articles for freelance publication.
Check it out
Here's your chance to see what some of our interns are writing:
Andrew Kimball, '09
Intern, Harbor Light News (summer 2007)
'Bio Blitz' last weekend drew scientists, students to University of Michigan Biological Station(front page story)
The Pleiad: A weekly student newspaper written and edited entirely by Albion College students.
The Pleiad competes against other weekly college papers in Division II in the Michigan Press Association's student newspaper contest.
Michigan Press Association awards for The Pleiad, 2007-08
- Non-Deadline Story 1st place Calli McCain - "Dedicated Force"
- Non-deadline Story 3rd place Ben Stark - Not Green Enough
- Feature Story 3rd place Calli McCain - "True Life"
- News Special Section 3rd place Staff editors - "The Housing Game"
- Sports Page Design 2nd place - Danni Wysocki
Michigan Press Association awards for The Pleiad, 2006-07
General Excellence 3rd place
News Page Design 3rd place
Feature Page Design 3rd place
Non-Deadline Story 1st place Izzy Bendall and Andrew Kimball - "Underground Dog Fighting"
Investigative Reporting 1st place Holly Setter - "Frustration 101"
Investigative Reporting 2nd place Kyle Gillis - "PTM Begins Paying Back Bonuses"
Feature 3rd place Kayla Kiley - "Pornified"
Column 2nd place Holly Setter - "Cheney vs. Smith"
Michigan Press Association awards for The Pleiad, 2005-06
- General Excellence 2nd place
- Student Manager of the Year (one statewide winner) Maria Stella, business manager
- Non-Deadline Story 2nd place Maria Stella - “Construction to Finish on Controversial Ethanol Plant”
- Investigative Reporting 2nd place Michael Melvin and Lindsay Zeigin-Netter - Budget series
- Sports News 3rd place Jake Lloyd - “MIAA Champions”
- Sports Feature 1st place Jake Lloyd - “The Hardest Race Yet”
- News Page Design Honorable mention
Michigan Press Association awards for The Pleiad, 2004-05
- Investigative Reporting 1st place Michael Melvin, tenure series
- Sports Feature 1st place Charlie Snearly - "The Long Development of a Diaper Dandy"
- Column 1st place Jill Hindenach - "Zero Tolerance Policy Needed"
- Sports Features 2nd place Jake Lloyd - "Homecoming Weekend 2004"
- Non-Deadline Story 3rd place Rachel Karmol - "Students Report Sexual Assault"
- Feature Story 3rd place Michael Melvin - "Albion Review Redux"
Life After Albion
What are they writing now? We are proud to showcase the accomplishments of some of our most recent graduates.
Liz Shepard, '06
Staff writer, The Argus-Press
Utility funding for business park questioned
Kayla Kiley, '07
Reporter, Cadillac News
I got milk: The woes of being a city girl on a farm