Internship Requirement

Ford students are required to complete an internship in the field of public service during their time at Albion College. Many students choose internships in an area of politics, but numerous other types of public service internships are available and have been completed by our students. Some Ford students work with the Director of the Institute to create their own internships in an area that is of special interest to them.

Internship credit may be obtained one of two ways:


A full-time internship for at least one unit of academic credit in an area of public policy and public service, typically completed in the junior year or over the summer break. It can be done locally while taking a full load of courses at Albion, or a student may concentrate only on the internship either locally or off campus.

Off-Campus Programs

There are many work/study programs that help arrange an internship in the field of public policy and public service for one to two units of academic credit in conjunction with two to three units of academic course work that are transferable to Albion College. Programs such as the Washington Center, Washington Semester, Chicago Center of Urban Studies, Philadelphia Center, and through Boston University; programs abroad in London, Germany, France, Spain, Australia and other countries are available to our students.