Campus Services - Motor Pool


An E-form (four part form available through central stores) is necessary to schedule a motor pool vehicle. The following information must appear on the E-form: account number for charges, group/class name, contact person and their extension, number of vehicles needed, purpose of trip, destination, date(s) vehicle is needed, name(s) of approved driver(s), and signature(s) of approval.

Residential Life must approve requests for Residential Life functions. CPO must approve requests for student groups/organizations. Requests for First Year Experience must be approved by Drew Dunham, Registrar’s Office. Albion College vans are to be used to transport current students and current staff of Albion College, the Business Office must approve any deviation before vehicles can be scheduled. Per the PET AND OTHER ANIMAL policy for Albion College, animals (with the exception of service animals) are not to be transported in motor pool vehicles.


It is the responsibility of the department/group/organization to find approved drivers. Albion College staff and student driver names must appear on the “Approved Driver List” to drive a motor pool vehicle. The process for applying to become an approved driver is now electronic, and is available through Campus Safety or here.


Your group or department will be charged for use of the college vehicle at the following rate:

Additional charges may also apply if the vehicle has not been cleaned upon return (Minimum $25.00 fee) or if vehicle is not picked up and the reservation was not cancelled ($25.00)


Please notify us of any changes in dates or numbers of vehicles needed so we can check on availability. Please notify us of any cancellations ASAP.


Keys can be signed out BY THE APPROVED DRIVER Monday through Friday from 9am-4:30pm in the Facilities Building. Keys for weekend travel need to be signed out on Friday; HOWEVER, you must not take the vehicle until the date and time scheduled.


Groups traveling overnight must provide Campus Safety with the following information PRIOR to departure:

These forms can be obtained in the CPO office.  If you are traveling with luggage, no more than 12 people can be transported in a van.


Monday through Friday all vehicles are ready by 9am on the day they are reserved for. If you need the vehicle(s) before 9am, let us know so arrangements can be made to have it ready.

When you sign out the keys you will be given an envelope with the key(s), checklist(s) and gas cards (if applicable). With exceptions for weekend travel and early pick up, the gas tank will be full and oil checked. Please remember to check the gas gauge prior to leaving town.

When you return the vehicle(s), completely fill out the check list(s). It serves as a reminder to clean out loose trash and personal items and to secure the vehicle(s). A garbage can is located next to the gas pump for trash. We are not responsible for any items left in the vehicle. On the checklist there is a section to report any damage to the vehicle while in your possession (even vandalism). List any mechanical concerns in the comment section. The envelope containing the completed checklist, keys and gas cards (if applicable) should be placed in the drop box next to the Central Receiving door on the west end of the building. DO NOT leave van keys or gas cards in the van.

**If you were in an accident completely fill out an accident report (in the glove box with the insurance and registration information and emergency contact information). Attach a copy of the police report (or the officer’s card with the department’s phone number), and turn it in with the keys. We will contact the insurance company to file a claim if necessary.


This information is also in the glove box with the insurance information. If you have a motor pool emergency Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm, call: (517) 629-0260 Laura McDowell, if you get voice mail, hang up and call (517) 629-0230 Facilities Office.

After 5pm and on the weekends, call Campus Safety (517-629-1234) and let them know you have a motor pool emergency. They will contact the Facilities Supervisor on call. Make sure to leave your location, nature of the problem, and contact number with the Campus Safety dispatcher.

Repairs for minor emergencies can be charged to the gas card. If you spend cash, or charge to a personal card, make sure to save all receipts so we can reimburse expenses.

In the event that a College van is involved in an accident, the driver is responsible for ensuring that the steps listed below are taken:

  • Notify Campus Safety of injured passengers and the hospital to which they are being transported.
  • In the event that the vehicle is not driveable, Campus Safety will contact Facilities Operations to coordinate the disposition of the vehicle, the arrangement of alternate transportation and other necessary assistance for those on the trip as needed.