Technology Support Specialist Duties
Technology Support Specialist- assist Information Technology staff in responding to the computing needs of the Campus. This includes but is not limited to trouble shooting and repairing computing equipment for faculty, staff and students. Providing support to residential network Users through software installs. Technology Support Specialists can expect to be very busy at the start of the academic year. Students will report to User Services, Instructional Technology or Systems and Networking but will work closely with staff members in all departments regardless of direct report.
Technology Support Specialists will be required to arrive on campus two to three days before normal move in for training and are expected to participate in installation fairs during the opening of the academic year.
These are some of the basic job requirements:
- Customer service oriented.
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Windows and/or Macintosh systems.
- Available to work 10-20 hours per week during the standard work day.
- Ability to deal calmly with frustrated clients.
- Experience installing software on Windows and/or Mac computers
- Experience with removing viruses, adware and spyware
- Experience with networking and MS Office applications a definite plus
- Experience with installing computer hardware a plus
- Must be able to move about campus and within residence halls to perform tasks
- Install network, e-mail and other College approved software on student computers in student rooms.
- Install network cards in student computers.
- Troubleshoot network connection problems.
- Troubleshoot Windows and/or Mac operating system problems.
- Maintain computing labs in assigned residence hall(s) - reloading computers, printer maintenance, making sure the lab is adequately supplied with paper and toner at all times.
- Troubleshoot connection problems in the residence hall computing labs.
- Production support for multimedia and digital video projects.
- Participate in activities which continue to improve computing knowledge and skills related to the position.
- Assist with tasks and projects related to the technology needs of campus as assigned.